How not to cut one-handed?

Mark Wileman

One of Reg Coates vids from a while back had a good tip similar to the two slings and a crab, but he had a light rigging line tied off near his climbing anchor and a prussik on it that he slid along the rigging line taking it to the ends of branches he was trimming, a small sling on the piece to be cut crab onto the prussik then take out the slack and cut, he quickly did some quite cumbersome looking douglas fir trimming that couldnt just be dropped, he could attach any size cut to the prussik providing it wasnt to heavy to lug with the rope, maybe he was short staffed but he cleared the targets quick enough

• Like 1

Nobody has said it but cutting and holding properly is safer than step cutting and trying to grab the bloody bit before it falls. If you do this you will catch your arm on your saw as it is running down when you don’t move it out of the way quickly enough. Just don’t try to cut and hold too big a bit. I have a mate who cut off his nipple when the large piece he was holding dragged him down onto his saw. Cut and hold. Just use your common sense

Nobody has said it but cutting and holding properly is safer than step cutting and trying to grab the bloody bit before it falls. If you do this you will catch your arm on your saw as it is running down when you don’t move it out of the way quickly enough. Just don’t try to cut and hold too big a bit. I have a mate who cut off his nipple when the large piece he was holding dragged him down onto his saw. Cut and hold. Just use your common sense

I would disagree ,step cutting and learning cuts properly so they don’t brake off premature is safer.. it is not acceptable in any way to cut and hold ...that is an industry standard , not saying I don’t do it but it’s in no way unsafe unless the op is out of control... the problem is as soon as a saw user does his nptcs and goes out in to the industry and see every one else cut and holding they see it as the only way And neglect to hone any other skills further or give them a second thought usually with the exception of handling timber because that’s a lot easier than dealing with branch wood.
You can quickly set up 3step cuts not have them brake off premature and use two hands too throw them accurately and not damaging the tendons and getting tennis elbow and a range of other ailments in wrists etc from cut n Chuck and it really is a simple skill to learn and faster imo , I’ve seen fellas watch and either think it’s some witch craft and be pretty impressed but it’s really simple... or what a c%#t ;) ....
Try not to overlap cuts and make the cuts double the thickness of the branch and go side to side instead of in board or out board unless on small branches as the leverage will just brake them before you get a chance to grab them... if you need to do big bits that you can barely hold then they should probably of been rigged in the first place.
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Put it away and climb with a rear handled saw like a 26, quite big, quite heavy so you need to learn your cuts better and lower things that need lowered! Swatting away like Zoro only leads to damages, accidents a bad back and tennis elbow!

+1.

I usually only climb with a rear handle saw. That way I won't get tempted to use one hand on a top handle saw, and it forces me to get into the right position before I start cutting.

• Like 2

It is avoidable tho impossible to never use it imo. Tape slings are very handy for avoiding most of those situations. If you do one hand, keep well out of the kick back. 

Always be very mindful of your work position, the saw and be prepared for a slip. Always allow room for error. 

Dont race, plan, pace and think!. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferguson system said:

+1.

I usually only climb with a rear handle saw. That way I won't get tempted to use one hand on a top handle saw, and it forces me to get into the right position before I start cutting.

although a back handled saw is more ergonomic with two hands on it i would find it a real pain to climb around on a prune and hard to get target cuts in.