How not to cut one-handed?

Mark Wileman

As i'm getting into the swing of regular climbing I'm trying my hardest not to use my top handle one-handed. I had a branch go over into next doors garden on a pine we dismantled today because the step cut I was trying to do broke off early, and I had a ton of near misses before that (only just grabbing the branch as it fell, catching a branch in midair with a saw still running is arguably far more dangerous than one-handing). 

How do you guys deal with the scenarios that don't quite warrant rigging but need control throwing down of material, for either damage limitation or to make ground crew's life easier?

I admit later in the afternoon I did a ton of one handed "finishing off" cuts off whilst holding the branch that was falling, enabling a controlled throwing down of material.

I'm trying to figure out the blurry line of productivity that sits between HSE standards and cowboy cutting!

Thanks,

Mark

Practise makes perfect... step cuts hold better side to side , try and do them with the width apart from the cuts double the stem diameter when cutting branches with foliage , if I am dismantling a tree I will set up say 2-4 or more different branches with step cuts and brake them off individually after putting the saw down , it’s quicker than cut and hold.

• Like 1

Difficult to answer this question responsibly as we’ve all done it.
If you one hand the saw and the bar is in line with any part of your body, you are putting yourself in danger, especially on the top of the bar if the chain gets pinched in the cut.
I’ve caught myself trying to snatch a falling branch with the saw in the other hand!!
Not good...,!!!!!
After time and with practice your judgement with step/holding cuts will get better allowing you to lower or clip up the saw between cutting and chucking. [emoji106]

Use a silky for smaller stuff or on pines if you make your first cut an inch or so away from the branch collar and your second cut behind branch collar almost into the main trunk it will hold for a few seconds and twist off and drop nice. Practice will help too. 

• Like 1

If you are in a situation where you must do it, just keep your mind in the game, every single cut.

Your arm and body position needs to be right, and the arm holding the cut section and the bar need to be moving in opposite directions on release. If this can't be achieved you need to reassess.

Never go too big - brushwood can be bloody heavy!

Doing it every cut is an ingrained, slovenly habit. I've seen climbers cut and hold every limb to then throw them vertically downwards. WTF?

There is also a macho bullshit element at play here.

I've seen a few lads with burst forearms in a tendon cast. They weren't very quick, and they weren't earning much either.

Their lasses left them and they ended up turning gay and being homeless.

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

Whilst step cutting cord wood is more or less 100% dependable if done correctly, taking the end out of branches certainly isn't.

If you don't want to cut and hold them a silky is the obvious answer.  Theres various other techniques though that you will learn over time. For instance doing a top cut slowly and letting the branch peel down so you can pull it off and drop it is one, albeit species dependent 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mark Wileman said:

I had a branch go over into next doors garden on a pine we dismantled today because the step cut I was trying to do broke off early, and I had a ton of near misses before that (only just grabbing the branch as it fell, catching a branch in midair with a saw still running is arguably far more dangerous than one-handing). 

Slings is a good shout.

Step cuts on the sides is a good shout.

Also have a go at doing the top cut first, and then the bottom cut outboard of the top...  if it doesn't go, cut a little more into the bottom, never the top.

Never fails*

*well, I guess it may fail if you are particularly kift

Edited by Bolt
  • Like 1