What should a subby groundy bring to the party[emoji848]?

Bootroyd

Couple of times ive showed up at jobs to ground or climb or just drag and chip to find im using someone elses crap kit.

Lesson learned

Bring all my own kit to jobs now but as said before my price would reflect that.

I do hourly rate rather than day rate as i find people grumble at giving you 130 quid for 4 hours work-even if you do bust your balls

Couple of times ive showed up at jobs to ground or climb or just drag and chip to find im using someone elses crap kit.
Lesson learned
Bring all my own kit to jobs now but as said before my price would reflect that.
I do hourly rate rather than day rate as i find people grumble at giving you 130 quid for 4 hours work-even if you do bust your balls

Selling yourself short I’d say as they will still be making money of the back of you and should have planned there days work better
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guss109 said:

Selling yourself short I’d say as they will still be making money of the back of you and should have planned there days work better

I used to charge day rate irrelevant of how many hours id be working but that cost me work.

Ive found when the job is almost done or just the raking up and blowing to do i get the tap on the shoulder and how much do i owe you mate.

It works for me and gives the employer a little more control over how much he pays me.

The more good experience the better, bringing your own saw is a bonus but we are usually hip deep in saws anyway.
The ability to read what’s happening up in the tree is a must of course if they are looking after the ropes, but it still helps if they are just labouring and don’t want a 50 kilo chog on the back of their neck as they stroll under the tree to pick a few twigs up.
Even volunteering to tow the chipper of a morning, or pull a trailer full of cord back to the yard at night are all good qualities a subby groundy may possess.

On 11/20/2017 at 17:12, Gray git said:

Any stubby working for me is expected to bring his ppe in good clean condition, food and water for day and a good attitude and that's it, my job my gear.
Climber is different as I'd expect them to use own climbing gear but toppers and rigging is again my stuff

Don't remember ever having had the honor of working for you Mr Git :) ( me being a Stubby ) but I always had available  a T540 or Ms200T ( as a spare ) a 346 , 560 , 372 , 390 , 395 . and 3120 . Felling rope ,  , Stimmers , bolt croppers ( essential ) a will to crack on and a sense of humor .

Edited by Stubby