Favourite Saw

gary112

46 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

I just did not understand why you had an issue with it not having a decomp button if its easy to start?

I just commented on it as I thought the 046 was an 044 and saw the decomp button. When I was repairing mine I saw there were cylinders for sale with decomp buttons so on looking into it the 044 was available with two different size small end bearings and also with or without decomp. There was a discussion on the American site about it. Just out of interest my 036 has no decomp but all the ones I've seen have. I don't have time to have "issues" with anything never mind something as trivial as a decomp button :D

Edited by peatff

46 minutes ago, Martyn Honey said:

When I was on the tools (A few years ago now) my favourite was Sachs Dolmar 120 Super as a ground saw and Stihl 020 AV top handle for climbing, both great saws but the 020 is probably a bit heavy comparing to the modern saws!

Martyn cced95b5e9863c6a59c70892b91e953d.jpgec64aaa2f34e0831f777487542dacd45.jpg

I have just brought an 020av back from the brink, cracking saw going to give it a proper run next week so I’ll report back on the thread I created for it. 

As for weight at first I thought it was heavy then when I was comparing it to the husky t540xp v2 it felt exactly the same in weight, I weighed them both on scales (big scales used for weighing humans) and they where the same. 

I was shocked, granted if I weighed them on more refined scales there may be a slight difference as what I used may of been a little crude for the task but on my scales and on feel if there is a difference it would only be hairs between them. 

5 hours ago, skyhuck said:

I just did not understand why you had an issue with it not having a decomp button if its easy to start?

Though the decomp does make it easier to start - it became popular on dirt bikes to save the battery and or your kick starter just as much as your own leg. Man, I miss my old YZF125... I don't use the decomps on smallish saws(like my 241cm), but nearly always on the bigger saws because I have had to replace more starter pawls, ropes, handles, internal parts, etc etc than I care to remember. The decomp makes it just as easy on the saw as your arm or hands. And I noticed when I start the saw conventionally as we do stateside in logging(with the left hand on the pull and the right hand on the handle), that is allows me to start a saw with less pulls. Prolly due to a faster pull. Or maybe because I am a baby.

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:24, wyk said:

I went stateside last year to take care of some family business(which I will also have to go to Switzerland shortly to finalise).  Mostly spent time in L.A. and Vegas otherwise. I am now up in Wicklow, Ireland. Though, I am about to go back for a bit to the estate I was working on in Waterford as they need a hand clearing all the tree fall. :) Which reminds me, how the hell do you get chainsawbars.co.uk to ship to an address separate from my billing(but which I have used before since I need to send equipment down to Waterford).

Agree on using the decomp to help reduce stress on the starter cord/pawls etc.  Where in  Wickla are ya staying Wes as yer on my manor now!!!??   Must buy yew a beverage if i'm over dare fer Christmas.   Spud,  don't mock 'the hood' man!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

Agree on using the decomp to help reduce stress on the starter cord/pawls etc.  Where in  Wickla are ya staying Wes as yer on my manor now!!!??   Must buy yew a beverage if i'm over dare fer Christmas.   Spud,  don't mock 'the hood' man!

I'm chillin somewhere between Bray and Enniskerry. ;)

• Like 1