Insurance for subbies

Marko_87

I would 

I'd also check vehicle insurance 

as a employer I'd never make a labour only Subby pay for damage caused in them carrying out there duty. 

Thats why I make profit they make wages, 

a bonefide Subby is a different thing 

• Like 3

You don't need to check Bill, you won't be paying anyway....
Always makes me laugh when I see freelance climbers advertising saying they have their own insurance.
If I'm laughing the insurance company who have taken their money must be absolutely pissing themselves.
I use freelancers a lot. Id be thinking 'Get in! Bill Pierce has his own insurance. I'll get him in for that nasty 180' dead leaner without an anchor point overhanging the Ferrari garage'.

• Like 2

You don't need to check Bill, you won't be paying anyway....
Always makes me laugh when I see freelance climbers advertising saying they have their own insurance.
If I'm laughing the insurance company who have taken their money must be absolutely pissing themselves.
I use freelancers a lot. Id be thinking 'Get in! Bill Pierce has his own insurance. I'll get him in for that nasty 180' dead leaner without an anchor point overhanging the Ferrari garage'.

Hopefully I could do some work for you at some point then. Sounds like a right giggle....

I do lots of jobs for mysel and get subbed in a bit so need insurance either way. but always wondered whose insurance it would be on.

17 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Hopefully I could do some work for you at some point then. Sounds like a right giggle....

I do lots of jobs for mysel and get subbed in a bit so need insurance either way. but always wondered whose insurance it would be on.

Same, I’m covered for myself/own jobs and I suppose as my insurance is 365 days of the year I’m covered when I’m subbing however when I am subbing I’m not using my insurance it is theirs who I am subbing to that I am using if its ever needed. 

If something was to go wrong you would be claiming against the person/company almost like your suing them. Same applies if someone is subbing to you, your insurance should cover them. 

I did that for years Bill, if it's not your job it's not your insurance.
Be wary of landscapers getting you in because they have f-all insurance for tree work....
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, flatyre said:

I'm working towards being a subby groundsman with chipper and tipper, Does that mean I don't need PL as it won't be my job?

You're veering away from the freelance labour aspect and heading more into taking on an aspect of the job, ie the waste removal, which would put you more in the bona fide subcontractor position. Personally, I would seek qualified advice on that one. :)

Edited by felixthelogchopper