Clients that make you go hmmmmm.

Mick Dempsey

When I was quite green and keen I went to price a conifer removal. It was a bread and butter job, the conifer was in a raised bed and was cracking the walls, the render was flaking off. I explained that I could cut the tree down in sections and carry the bit to the front of the house and then grind the stump out. I should of known something was going on when he asked how to remove it in sections and how I would cut it, what was a step cut?? The man asked if it was an option to leave the stump and I said it was as it won't re grow. He then asked if I knew any builders who could sort out the flaking render. I gave him my mates number. When we got to the front of the house I asked for his email, he said "why do you want my email?" I told him it was to send a price......."I don't need a price mate" he replied " I just wanted to know how to do it...... I was blown away by his cheek! I told him what I thought and left... I learnt a lot that day[emoji23][emoji23]

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

A bit later (when I was up the tree) the client asked Dave if he could chip up some branches he’d prepared.
Dave said ‘you’ll have to ask the fat bloke’

On the face of it, seems like Dave is taking the piss and you will now always be known as the fat bloke.

On reflection, Dave was subtly reminding the customer that they had started by insulting you but now asking for a favour so that wasn't such a good thing to do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

On the face of it, seems like Dave is taking the piss and you will now always be known as the fat bloke.

On reflection, Dave was subtly reminding the customer that they had started by insulting you but now asking for a favour so that wasn't such a good thing to do.

I think he was just having a laugh 😂 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, David Cropper said:

As I jumped  down from the van, in what I assumed was a sprightly fashion,

I just tell my mate he's still spritely just to annoy him, it's become a euphemism for someone old and nearly decrepit  trying to soldier on. I take it spritely and sprightly have the same root? As of a sprite.

3 hours ago, David Cropper said:

Im actually just 70 but look 35.

I wish until I look into the mirror.

I never did climb daily after about 1980 but did the occasional bit when no one else was available on the firm up till 60. By then I only did take down and never progressed beyond double rope and shunt, now a rare outing.

204122070_Screenshotfrom2022-04-1612-14-31.thumb.png.df312f188c2acc2b1defb7a3abedcf16.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I just tell my mate he's still spritely just to annoy him, it's become a euphemism for someone old and nearly decrepit  trying to soldier on. I take it spritely and sprightly have the same root? As of a sprite.

I wish until I look into the mirror.

I never did climb daily after about 1980 but did the occasional bit when no one else was available on the firm up till 60. By then I only did take down and never progressed beyond double rope and shunt, now a rare outing.

204122070_Screenshotfrom2022-04-1612-14-31.thumb.png.df312f188c2acc2b1defb7a3abedcf16.png

Andrew, I have a job climbing in the van, never mind a tree!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Had someone ask me to trim and reduce a conifer hedge a few years back. About half a days work for 2 of us and I quoted £270 or something. She said that was fine, so booked in the work and sent the quote through. Turned up to do the work a few weeks later and the hedge had been done by some travelling friends who she said charged £1000 but said they could do it then and there so she decided to have it done as the weather was nice. She then said that they through everything into the neighbours garden and could I clear it away. Yes no problem but it will cost you £600 as the neighbour have no access to the back garden and it is all in a stream about 20ft down from your garden. She told me that I was a rip off and that I should be ashamed of myself after she had been done over by travellers, I should be doing it for free. I apologised and explained why it was going to cost what it was. She then went down her road and told every neighbour what had happened and that I was a robbing bastard. I then got 3 called from her neighbours about work who all explained to me that she was a nightmare and she had actually done the job herself with her husband. Her neighbour with the conifer leftovers in his garden explained that he asked them not to drop the branches in his garden to which she told him that she had someone coming round to clear it up in a couple of weeks. Beggars belief.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1