No ones posting.

eggsarascal

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Shall I make a list?

It might be an idea. 

Naturally, most people are going to be resistant to change. I don't doubt that there has been an enormous amount of work and thought that's gone into the new format, but I honestly had no issues with anything previously except for the aforementioned PM limit. Viewing on a mobile platform could be fiddly at times, but I rarely ever did. Much prefer a laptop.

• mobile viewing
  • picture uploading from mobile devices
  • picture orientation
  • antiquated software causing multiple issues with google ranking
  • antiquated software with no support, no additional plug ins being created,  zero scope for improvements
  • antiquated software causing potential security issues
  • restrictive private messaging options
  • Antiquated notification system relying on people having to check their emails, assuming they subscribe to something in the first place

In short, the previous software was 10 years old, had zero scope for improvement and we had no option but a clean slate.  I'm confident that in a weeks time people will have forgotten what the old site even looked like and will enjoy the many many improvements the new software offers.

• Thanks 1

In addition, I picked this software because it has a very active development site.  There are new plug ins being offered up daily, and some very good ones.  Im looking forward to the new additions that are going to be added here very soon.  I used to apply some pretty big changes/additions to the forum at least once every 6 months in the early days which helped encourage growth.  This is yet another thing that has been hampered by the unsupported previous software.

I reckon the problem isn't really with the software but more to do with its target audience. At the risk of pigeon holing all tree cutters were probably not the most tech savvy of industries. We like what we know and use the same tools every day to do the job. We like familiarity.

On the flip side of I'd just spent copious amounts of time and money modernising this site I'd feel pretty unimpressed about having to hold peoples hands and justify the upgrade.

I reckon if people tried getting to grips with it for a while on a desktop they'd soon be comfortable with it. I'm looking forward to the app but this site is slowly making sense to me. 

• Like 2