SDS Drill vs standard cordless for drilling wood gateposts

Matthew Storrs

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob- do you live in your shed? You seem to be able to produce a photo of any given tool just like that!

:lol:

All pics are dumped on photobucket Mathew so easy to retrieve and post up , wont be around for long though because they are going to start charging $400 a year for the privilege. I dont value my pictures that much :thumbdown:

Bob

:lol:

All pics are dumped on photobucket Mathew so easy to retrieve and post up , wont be around for long though because they are going to start charging $400 a year for the privilege. I dont value my pictures that much :thumbdown:

Bob

Try Dropbox instead bob that's free still (at least it was recently)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

So iv totalled another cordless 18v drill (the rain gets in which doesn't help)

I did some fencing on my own property last september and managed to leave my Bosch 36v combi outside. Found it a couple of weeks ago. It had spent 9 months outside in the weather and the only sign was a bit of rust on the chuck.

But agree with the 2 stoke suggestions.

About 12 years ago bought a 12volt one you clip on truck battery it ex electric board big ally case and slow lots of torque a wrist breaker. But more recent use a Bosch 18volt for bridge construction and gate hanging on oak posts I do use a very kind drill bit which has a very open flight on it.

Erm, would a brushless 18V Milwaukee (1/2 or 3/4 drive) impact driver, with a chuck on not be suitable for this brute work, or would the impact/chattering ruin or interfere with the drilling, the necessary torque ud be there.

Thy appear to be quite the wrist breaking animal, per several comments on the farming forum.

Matt i acquired a atom drill attachment off ebay. It augers 22mm holes through a 8 inch post in 10-12 seconds. Its attached to a husky 357xp which is too much power. But i prefer to be top of the job.

I bought it to drill about 800 holes in a cattle corral. Easy to use and suprised at the absence of twist or shock loading.

I think rob d of chainsawbars.co.uk can supply echo 2 stroke drill power units.

I imagine you can get non hammer masonry bits maybe as well from somewhere

Sent from my LG-K100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Don't think a basic SDS will come close to a good cordless for torque. Just got a three speed Dewalt and that wood easily out drive my 4kg Makita Supermac SDS IMO. Come up and have a look at the hedge and give the drill a go at the same time :thumbup1:

Always keeping ur auger bit looked after and sharp will help massively if using a battery drill. Be cheaper buying a few auger bits than new drills.

My old boss had an ancient atom drill and as goaty says they're ideal for doing it long term or lots of posts.

Must admit i found it a brute to work and get it lined up/level but then again i was still quite young, nervous and learning in those days.

The previous boss to that we hand drilled them just like a big cork screw (bit and brace), as long as the bit was sharp it was surpising how u got throu them, still got a few lying about for emergancies althou hopefully i'll never be that desperate again

Will really depend how often u use them

Edited by drinksloe

I have a very old petrol makita drill the does hammer and rotary you put different shanked bits in it depending on what function you want as opposed to switching functions dont know if still made but i think it would be the only tool that will do all jobs easily