Stump grinder versus German tank shells.

David Cropper

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an update email from my customer yesterday. Bomb disposal still haven't arrived since Wednesday and the neighbour has shown them another shell down in their paddock that still has the fuse in. She's going to go to the Gendarmerie again on Monday to try to get some idea of what's happening.

Clearly old explosives are not dangerous at all!!!:001_huh::001_rolleyes:

Are you sure about that ? I've been informed on this site that there's hardly any chance of them going bang. I'm off to work now before the "experts" crawl out of the darkness and explain why.

Clearly old explosives are not dangerous at all!!!:001_huh::001_rolleyes:

I bet the insurance claim made interesting reading.

Clearly they will go bang, just light the blue touch paper on your large industrial crusher :laugh1:

I bet the "acts of war" exclusion gave the underwriters a bit of wriggle room :laugh1:

He was prone to doing loon things.

My Grandfather , his father , had a wildfowling punt gun .

This used coarse grained black powder.

Uncle thought nothing of filling tins with it , burying them and lighting a fuse to them .

So yes , he was suspect at times.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

My grandfather was too old to fight in WW2 so he volunteered as a fire warden at Chatham Dockyards. Chatham saw a lot of air raids, partly because of the dockyards and also being on the route up the Thames to London, so quite a lot of ordnance came down, which sometimes ended up in the collections of small boys.

Granfer had an insurance round, which meant he met the mothers of said small boys, who generally didn't appreciate their sons' collections. We don't know whether it was the fact that he was a fire warden, or that he lived out on 9 acres of woodland, or that he was just a hoarder but somehow he ended up by the end of the war with a fair amount of live ammunition including tracer bullets etc.

My grandmother wasn't too happy about this, so at the end of the war she told him to get rid of it. This was done on bonfire night, where he let the whole lot off. The highlight of the show was a 4" shell, where he waited for the fire to die down, embedded a cast iron drainpipe in the embers and dropped the shell down it - when the pipe got red hot the shell went up.

My grandmother's elderly aunt who was staying with them at the time declared it to be the best firework display she had ever seen. Mum, who was born a couple of years later, remembers still finding bits of shrapnel from the shell embedded in the trees probaby 10yrs afterwards!

Alec

Are you sure about that ? I've been informed on this site that there's hardly any chance of them going bang. I'm off to work now before the "experts" crawl out of the darkness and explain why.

Thats not what I said on my post David(or at least not what I intended!) All unexploded ordnance should be treated with respect and not handled unless you know what your doing. Always call the authorities concerned. Anyone who thinks different perhaps should go to Bosnia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Afgan, Iraq etc, look for an area marked ''mines do not enter'' or words to that effect, put on your best chainsaw boots and stomp about blindly! then you'll be doing the locals a favour:001_rolleyes: Take another look at that crusher! I bet the digger driver who dug that out of the ground earlier in the day went home for some clean underpants. The picture doesn't show the fragmentation that was probably scattered across the area? Hope no one was injured in that incident.

Thats not what I said on my post David(or at least not what I intended!) All unexploded ordnance should be treated with respect and not handled unless you know what your doing. Always call the authorities concerned. Anyone who thinks different perhaps should go to Bosnia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Afgan, Iraq etc, look for an area marked ''mines do not enter'' or words to that effect, put on your best chainsaw boots and stomp about blindly! then you'll be doing the locals a favour:001_rolleyes: Take another look at that crusher! I bet the digger driver who dug that out of the ground earlier in the day went home for some clean underpants. The picture doesn't show the fragmentation that was probably scattered across the area? Hope no one was injured in that incident.

Sorry Dan, I didn't mean You! I was referring to the two Herbert's who said that old ordinance wasn't dangerous. I appreciated yours and Simons take on it. Sorry if you thought I was being snide, it wasn't my intentions.