Stump grinder versus German tank shells.

David Cropper

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair how many times have we seen news stories about people/ dogs digging up bombs and they don't blow up?

If I found a bomb in my garden I'd treat it with respect as well. However I'd be thinking that after 70 years in a wet environment it probably wouldn't blow up.

I did an arms and explosives finding course at Girwood Park in Belfast years ago, that taught me to respect explosives, even a detonator will blow your fingers off if you're not paying attention. Old ordinance whatever you say is dodgy.

Old ordinance whatever you say is dodgy.

You're the guy that found a shell and decided to have a poke about to see if they were any more. You then got a metal detector to see what else was there. You then moved the shells to the bottom of the garden.

What PPE did you have to handle those explosives? Some sunglasses and a metal bin lid as a shield?

Millions of bombs were dropped in the UK in WW2. Many of them never went off. Since we don't hear much news about these bombs killing people it seems reasonable to say they are relatively "safe".

You're the guy that found a shell and decided to have a poke about to see if they were any more. You then got a metal detector to see what else was there. You then moved the shells to the bottom of the garden.

What PPE did you have to handle those explosives? Some sunglasses and a metal bin lid as a shield?

Millions of bombs were dropped in the UK in WW2. Many of them never went off. Since we don't hear much news about these bombs killing people it seems reasonable to say they are relatively "safe".

If you read what I said, I hit the shell, thought it was a metal pipe, pulled it out and realised what it was. The second one was also exposed. As to ppe , I strapped an old mattress to my body, pair of thick gardening gloves, two dustbin lids, not one, then two pairs of stout underpants, just in case of an accident.

Don't try it on with me pal, I'm too long in the tooth to be belittled or intimidated by you.

If you read what I said, I hit the shell, thought it was a metal pipe, pulled it out and realised what it was. The second one was also exposed. As to ppe , I strapped an old mattress to my body, pair of thick gardening gloves, two dustbin lids, not one, then two pairs of stout underpants, just in case of an accident.

Don't try it on with me pal, I'm too long in the tooth to be belittled or intimidated by you.

Outstanding. Giggling away like a school girl at the thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

What PPE did you have to handle those explosives?

Now that's funny, PPE would provide a degree of protection but since the round is probably AP, designed to punch through several inches of steel, I am curious as to what PPE you think would be effective?