Thoughts on this?

Steve Bullman

A sad tale for sure. Don't know the full situation but it seems like another one where someone who has been doing the same job all his life makes a random error and pays the ultimate price.

His employer has certainly taken a big hit. This is the problem employers face, I don't know what the failings in their risk assessment procedure were but would they have saved his life? He cut through his own lanyard.. it seems crazy that a piece of paper is all that can separate a business owner from jail and or a massive fine.

Whilst this is a sad tale, health and safety will always blame and fine the employer. If they used a mewp, and he decides to unclip his lanyard, reaches out and falls, the employee is still responsible.

you cannot legislate against stupidity, but you can impose massive fines

Whilst this is a sad tale, health and safety will always blame and fine the employer. If they used a mewp, and he decides to unclip his lanyard, reaches out and falls, the employee is still responsible.

you cannot legislate against stupidity, but you can impose massive fines

I don't think that's entirely true, at least not here. If you provide the safety gear, the training etc. and then the employee fails to follow the correct procedures or use the safety gear provided then it's pretty much the employees fault. If, however, correct PPE isn't provided or procedures aren't set out correctly or taught or correct training isn't in place then it's on the employer.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The judge says - ''every one agrees the work should of been carried out from a mewp''! If one judge as already said it can it not now be used as a precedent? I was told many years ago that this should be the same for all tree work:confused1: With a risk assessment the safest option should be employed at all times, carry out the work from the ground, use a mewp, crane, climb the tree only as a last resort, etc.:001_rolleyes: Cost should not be a factor! I don't personally do it this way - just throwing it out there. I'm putting the tin helmet on now and taking cover in the bottom of the trench waiting for incoming:001_rolleyes:

The judge says - ''every one agrees the work should of been carried out from a mewp''! If one judge as already said it can it not now be used as a precedent? I was told many years ago that this should be the same for all tree work:confused1: With a risk assessment the safest option should be employed at all times, carry out the work from the ground, use a mewp, crane, climb the tree only as a last resort, etc.:001_rolleyes: Cost should not be a factor! I don't personally do it this way - just throwing it out there. I'm putting the tin helmet on now and taking cover in the bottom of the trench waiting for incoming:001_rolleyes:

I don't think there should be a set route, we are climbers every job I look at my first thought is can it be safely climbed, if yes, then would it be more efficient and cost effective from a MEWP, if yes, use that - or no then climb it.

If it can't be climbed then can a MEWP be safely utilised? and so on.

A MEWP should never be first choice, just as much as climbing should not be the only choice.

I think most of us now realise that a MEWP is not the default safest option and just another tool in the box.

Slightly off topic, kind of. What are the rules regarding risk assessments and use freelance workers, say I'm doing a job and I have a freelance climber in, just the two of us, do I need to make sure he has lolar? Do I have to do a full risk assessment? I'm sorry if this has been done to death. I was told that if there are more than 5on site there should be a risk assessment, which I do, but for less?