Digging stumps

montyslater

Just for the curious, I watched this a year or two back... surprised what can be done with a few bits of equipment....

years back when I did a big root removal for the first time, all I had was a bow saw, axe and a few trench spades... spent a week digging round and under it to get it free.. then a local farmer dragged it out with his tractor...

Looking back I'm shocked I didn't kill myself digging under it to undermine it..... It looked like a FWW trench system in the making LOL.. never again!!!..

When you listen to the sound of this video it's obvious the guy is a cheat!:thumbdown:

You can't see the tractor when the stump starts to move, and you can hear it's not the sound of a tractor at all! the dude had some help from what sound to my untrained ears like a Boeing 747! with that kind of power on the ropes no stump is safe:sneaky2:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you listen to the sound of this video it's obvious the guy is a cheat!:thumbdown:

You can't see the tractor when the stump starts to move, and you can hear it's not the sound of a tractor at all! the dude had some help from what sound to my untrained ears like a Boeing 747! with that kind of power on the ropes no stump is safe:sneaky2:

Funny because I just watched the vid again and seen the stump move with his little tractor in view...

now, instead of comin up with a mad conspiracy, you might want to investigate the use of mechanical advantage...:thumbup1:

Surprised me what can be done with a snatch block and good ropes...

Funny because I just watched the vid again and seen the stump move with his little tractor in view...

now, instead of comin up with a mad conspiracy, you might want to investigate the use of mechanical advantage...:thumbup1:

Surprised me what can be done with a snatch block and good ropes...

Have to agree, never doubt the tenacity of a man on a mission. With enough rope and snatch blocks you could pull that stump out with a dog :)

Bob

Surely if there is room for a digger there is room for a grinder? Will be quicker in the end and cheaper as no stump to get rid of.

I guess it might depend on what is going to be done with this land- if it's going to be re landscaped, wall built, shed putting up etc it's probably more beneficial to remove the whole root plate...

I agree,just done some 60' conifers with a 1.5 ton Hanix. Took about 3/4 of an hour per stump. I felled about 5' up to get a bit of leverage,pull a bit then dig a bit.I used a 12" bucket with a single tooth. (My digger by the way,so I was not giving it a lot of stick). Cleaned and moved the stumps o.k. with bucket and blade,on the fire and gone.

I have dug out hundreds of stumps with my 0.8tonne kubota, and the trick is using the dipper and crowd at the same time so it becomes a giant lever. Crowd under a root, and push forward with the dipper, creates massive forces that pulling will, not achieve.

however, years of doing this caused the dipper to crack and nearly fall off, so it had to be repaired!

I will add what was said, a ripper is the best tool for the job