Depression

eggsarascal

Worry about the things you can change although there's loads of bad things going on in the world and it's good to understand I would not worry about them.

Life's a balance of good & bad got to to take the ruff with the smooth.:001_smile:

Agreed,

Dont worry about stuff you can't change

Do something about the things you can

& TaupoTreeMan yes, anyone who takes antibiotics for a cold is doomed

N

& TaupoTreeMan yes, anyone who takes antibiotics for a cold is doomed

N

I fear you are missing the point.

If lots of people take antibiotics when its not absolutely necessary, we are all doomed. We already have bugs that no antibiotic can kill and no new antibiotics on the horizon. The more we use antibiotics unnecessarily, the more we advance the evolution of antibiotic resistant bugs:thumbdown:

I fear you are missing the point.

If lots of people take antibiotics when its not absolutely necessary, we are all doomed. We already have bugs that no antibiotic can kill and no new antibiotics on the horizon. The more we use antibiotics unnecessarily, the more we advance the evolution of antibiotic resistant bugs:thumbdown:

True, but surely the people who never use antibiotics will have stronger immune systems - being as they have had to fight off everything going, on their own - be in a better position to survive the latest superbug?

I have never suffered depression until two years ago. But thanks to my wife's increasing drink problem and personality disorders the verbal abuse caused my problem.

I could of wrote this. This is the exact same thing (plus an affair) that pushed me into my stress. Still suffer now, when i have to see the ex for the children, i physically start shaking, its a bastard how some one you once loved, now scares the hell out of you.

• Sad 1

Not sure I have anything useful to contribute but in answer to the original question yes, for about the last 25yrs. It seems to follow shortly after periods of high stress and can get bad; really bad. There are times when I can't string a written sentence together, can't make a decision, have no memory of what I am supposed to be doing and am in effect completely dysfunctional, although verbally I can still communicate.

Have tried medication - didn't like the fact that it settled everything to a position just below neutral, ie always negative, so I stopped about 20yrs ago. Some anti-depressants were more unpleasant in their side-effects than others, none were worth them in my case. The only one I still have is Amitriptyline, which I actually have for a different, sporadic condition. It is evil stuff (Google the impressive list of side-effects) but it does coincidentally switch everything off for the night if I take it, which is sometimes a relief. I wouldn't want to take more than the odd pill though, probably one or two a year.

Otherwise, walking long distances (10-15miles or more) at night when I can't face walking during the day, and mindfulness have been the only things that have helped.

Like you, on paper I have everything - good job, nice house, good marriage, two brilliant daughters but at times that all just seems pointless. I think the worst bit is when I get into a spiral where I don't believe I deserve to be happy, at which point, by some twisted logic, I either avoid doing the things which would make an improvement or do them and feel guilty about it which makes it worse.

Not very positive I'm afraid, but I'm still here, which is a start.

Alec

• Like 1

Not sure I have anything useful to contribute but in answer to the original question yes, for about the last 25yrs. It seems to follow shortly after periods of high stress and can get bad; really bad. There are times when I can't string a written sentence together, can't make a decision, have no memory of what I am supposed to be doing and am in effect completely dysfunctional, although verbally I can still communicate.

Have tried medication - didn't like the fact that it settled everything to a position just below neutral, ie always negative, so I stopped about 20yrs ago. Some anti-depressants were more unpleasant in their side-effects than others, none were worth them in my case. The only one I still have is Amitriptyline, which I actually have for a different, sporadic condition. It is evil stuff (Google the impressive list of side-effects) but it does coincidentally switch everything off for the night if I take it, which is sometimes a relief. I wouldn't want to take more than the odd pill though, probably one or two a year.

Otherwise, walking long distances (10-15miles or more) at night when I can't face walking during the day, and mindfulness have been the only things that have helped.

Like you, on paper I have everything - good job, nice house, good marriage, two brilliant daughters but at times that all just seems pointless. I think the worst bit is when I get into a spiral where I don't believe I deserve to be happy, at which point, by some twisted logic, I either avoid doing the things which would make an improvement or do them and feel guilty about it which makes it worse.

Not very positive I'm afraid, but I'm still here, which is a start.

Alec

Maybe not positive but honest and, probably symptomatic of most sufferers. Worth trying new meds? There's been some improvements in the last few years I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Harvey b Davidso. Men and depression, blaming other people, please read

Signs of Depression in Men are Different

Good information but needs to be read carefully. If your wife or husband is narsarsistic you are already carrying enough guilt as it is. It's almost a chicken and the egg scenario. Did his depression drive her to drink and worsen her personality disorder. Or was she or he a narc from an early age due to a child hood trauma etc. If someone ticks all the boxes for narc behaviour it won't be long before their partner is suffering low self esteem and eventually depression.

Brave man starting this honest post as most people with issues wait until too late to seek help which is a shame.

I have not read all the responses but have a few comments.

There was a mate who worked for us manual cutting a long time and then moved to Devon. 12 months ago he visited various friends around the UK then was found hanged in his barn. Shocked when I was told as he seemed so normal and he left no reasons.

Several months ago a close female relative went on a break to Asia with her best friend and on return the friend committed suicide. (The friend had been depressed but had not talked with people/professionals about issues I am told)

It's so sad some people feel cannot discuss problems as I am sure this helps. The terrible effect on those left behind is with them forever!!

Life is difficult at times but like the weather there is sunshine over the next hill.

• Sad 1