what do you wear when pricing a job?

flatyre

A Kia should be fine, as would most 4x4's its all about the right image IMO. You don't want to look too well off, but you don't want to look like your struggling to make ends meet either..

I'm normally in the transit or occasionally the wife's cmax. People do pay attention though as one job the customer told me I won it as another guy turned up in a new BMW although we quoted the same price

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a well known business rule not to turn up to price in a top of the range motor as human nature tells the client you're making a lot of money somewhere,and it goes against the grain.

As for clothing, usually smart casual, but if passing I apologise for being covered in sawdust, but no one expects a tree worker to show up to price in a 3 piece suit.

I'm normally in the transit or occasionally the wife's cmax. People do pay attention though as one job the customer told me I won it as another guy turned up in a new BMW although we quoted the same price

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Funnily enough I recently quoted a job that I won due to the other guy tuning up in a flash new car. Customer said even though I was a few quid more expensive (£20on a £500 job) she convinced her husband to go with me because 'I wasn't a flash git in a stupid toy car'. Made me laugh. Cut the logs up to firewood to make up for the £20 :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

After having lots of tradesmen turning up to price this and that, I had the obvious thought.

Fancy car, charging too much?

Work van or scruffy vehicle, cheaper?

Quotes very similar but fancy vehicle more expensive. A bit more.

But he also turns up on time, and provides a decent bit of detail of what the job entails. Rather than on a fag packet.

I've stopped worrying about appearances. Do the pricing right for what you are happy with and wait for the reply, whilst getting on with the rest of your work. Simple.

As for clothes, surely that just depends on what you have on that day. I'm certainly not getting changed for a quote. I've been in my cycling gear with full on pads and full face helmet before. Don't think it matters. 😊