Old Skool Cool

Mr Ed

I remember the first Transit I used - no tipper, 4 speed, steel dashboard, no door pockets, rubber mat on the cab floor, no radio. Tied rope around brash and drove away for unloading, live line rods and brush,shovel and multi tine fork in a plastic barrel was tool storage, climbing rope was also used as lowering rope and tie down rope on lorry, Partner Pioneer chainsaws (I had 7!), monkey winch (which was rescued from a yard fire), untested tirfors and ropes, linesmans belts, donkey jackets filched from the National Coal Board or British Rail complete with orange plastic shoulders, the tartan flask in a gas mask "snap" bag, ppe consisted of overalls, miners boots and ear muffs if you were a wuss, first aid was a bog roll kept under the drivers seat, stihl saws with an exhaust smaller then the pot/piston, a tyre and red diesel to start a fire was always loaded with tools, picking up fresh clean road kill for supper, gathering mushrooms for boss after tree was on the floor, sofa cushion on metal seat of Fordson Major, "C" hooks made from axle half shafts by local blacksmith, scrapping the Chevy "Quad" that my Uncle was killed in 30 years before, the Lada Nive we had before I bought my first 109. Fond memorys all!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the one that sometimes the rope just fell out of because I remember that one . Scary .

the 'tiblock' not sure of the name,was a very small cam device with a thin wire gate(with did'nt work as 3 strand was too big) to keep the rope in most of the time, mine got lifted from by bag many years ago.

the othe was the (jack) kenyon prussic lifter which was a L shaped bar with spurs that twisted onto the tail and lifted the prussic.

you made your own spliced 3 strand prussic loops, or 'euro prussic loop' which were easer to make as they were just two eye splices, one small to the harness and one large to make the prusssic, but didnt last as long.

just about all of the other things mentioned, specially the grey GT under the arm pits!!

how about been taught to stack a load of brash properly with just a billhook, but leaving a space on the back as you dont get a seat in the cab:001_rolleyes:

that looks an interesting book!

the only thing i can really remember is my old man and uncle running a huge mobile saw mill on the farm, when DED struck they used all the decent timber and had a huge creosote bath, and clearing large areas of woodland for agricultural intensification, they towed the sawmill on the back of big massey 2720, will have to try and get find pics as the farm produced all its own sawn timber, they spent all the winters either doing timber or parked up in an old ambulance with a gas stove in it, either felling with a big danarm or chasing pigeons round the farm