Your most nightmare of a job

Harves

as an apprentice ag fitter, servicing combines in the winter, firstly give the combine a good run, this clears it of rats although some are caught in the elevators etc resulting in rats guts everywhere, then someone has to crawl deep into the belly of the machine to replace rubber curtains which have been eaten through by the rats, as I said I was the apprentice so guess who that someone was. On top of that I had a real fear of rats after being bitten by one as a kid. Last kick in the teeth was that my mates were all earning well over £50 a week, I was on £22

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its not what you do, its how you do it and who you do it with. The nicest job in the world can be an ordeal if the team dynamics are nasty. Abusive boss, backstabbing colleagues that kind of nonsense. Whereas tough, brutal work can be a pleasant memory later, when everyone pulls together and the camaraderie is bang on...with the exception of war, maybe.

Its not what you do, its how you do it and who you do it with. The nicest job in the world can be an ordeal if the team dynamics are nasty. Abusive boss, backstabbing colleagues that kind of nonsense. Whereas tough, brutal work can be a pleasant memory later, when everyone pulls together and the camaraderie is bang on...with the exception of war, maybe.

Even in war a good team can make the real awful jobs a proud memory maybe not a pleasant or happy one but the team makes it!

A footings jobs going back a few a years, I thought I might never get off job .....old sandstone colvat backed up for years let go !!! Pump going flat out and we had to shore sides up every minute.

[ATTACH]214044[/ATTACH]

Ste

i never realized until speaking to a builder who built his own place - this footings digging can be a killer if the sides collapse, the guy was told to go down six foot because of area near river bank and it all started collapsing - he had to get a pro firm in - they told him he was lucky to still be here

Brickworks in West Sussex. Hard, noisy, repetitive, dusty, I lasted two days.

Every minute was like an hour, every hour like a day.....

There were Poles and Italians who had been there for decades.

I done 2 weeks at lbc works at ridgmont in the eighties, longest 2 weeks of my life, although I did get to keep the goggles and those gloves/pads that resembled inner tube rubber. I,m sure a lot of the polish workers lived there and slept next to the bricked up kilns.