Tools worthy of a mention.

aspenarb

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

That then begs the question; what is an acceptable small battery saw that uses the same batteries as other portable tools? I discount Stihl as I have had a battery failure on the brushcutter the volunteers use and I want something common with power tools.

Makita 36v, (18vx2), bought mine before Christmas and it's my most used saw now.

The job I bought it for was cutting back a conifers hedge, loads of 12ft long branches, back to the fence line up to head height. Can't think of a better saw for that job. Perfect for by the chipper too.

Don't think I've used anything between that and my 461 on the last dozen or so tree jobs I've done.

Does help that I have 10 batteries but I don't think I've used more than 6 in a day.

• Thanks 1

I agree re: the makita top handled battery saw but NOT the 36v version.I use the 18v one a helluva lot up aloft and a 5/6 ah batt will do a decent amount of work on 4" and down stuff.The 2 battery setup sucks a lot of the pleasure out tbh weight-wise.I think the 18v bare tool is a really useful addition to your saw plan if you have other mak stuff and batts lying around-good chain speed too,think its the mak duc254 Off the top of my head.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, william127 said:

Makita 36v, (18vx2), bought mine before Christmas and it's my most used saw now.

I suppose yours is the top handle?

I see a back handle DUC353Z and two 6Ah batteries is just shy of 500 quid. Maybe ok to fetch a boot load of logs quietly??

7 hours ago, openspaceman said:

That then begs the question; what is an acceptable small battery saw that uses the same batteries as other portable tools? I discount Stihl as I have had a battery failure on the brushcutter the volunteers use and I want something common with power tools.

The Makita ( 36v) saws are very good, but they're not Pro saws. Hobby/occasional. Can eat batteries for fun if you're logging, they're more for making stuff manageable. 

22 minutes ago, Peter 1955 said:

The Makita ( 36v) saws are very good, but they're not Pro saws. Hobby/occasional. Can eat batteries for fun if you're logging, they're more for making stuff manageable. 

So won't even manage a boot load of logs on a full charge?

53 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I use Makita top handles all the time, the 18v for me is pruning and hedge work only, up to say 2" cuts.

For logs you'd want the 36v. Sawing 6" logs I reckon you'd get a boot full done, when it's bigger wood the battery goes flat quicker. I have a 10" bar on mine, when it gets that size I switch to petrol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I see a back handle DUC353Z and two 6Ah batteries is just shy of 500 quid. Maybe ok to fetch a boot load of logs quietly??

I have had both 18v topper and 36v back handle makita chainsaws. Both broke at around 2yslr old with light use. I got the 18v replaced under warranty as Covid delayed getting it fixed. The 36v just stopped working, out of warranty.

I won't be buying any more Makita saws!

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I've filled a 12ft Ifor trailer on one set of batteries before now. Very large willow branches fallen into a crop, cut into manageable lengths. I would never try to cut anything over a couple of inches diameter into logs with it, that's what the mains one at home is for. Bigger diameters and constant cutting kills batteries. I haven't used the 18v model, so can't comment on how much lighter/easier that is, but I find the 36v one to be a joy to use for trimming. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

back handle, 12inch bar 👍 

If you're cutting sensible sized stuff I can't see a boot full of logs being a problem at all.

• Thanks 1