Machines... Is age just a number...

swinny

When it comes to running your business and your machines...

Do you prefer to run older machines

Do you prefer to run new kit as in from brand new

Is age just a number? When do things like chippers and grinders become redundant to you?

Just curious on how you all think :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to running your business and your machines...

Do you prefer to run older machines

Do you prefer to run new kit as in from brand new

Is age just a number? When do things like chippers and grinders become redundant to you?

Just curious on how you all think :)

Machines become uneconomical when it costs more to keep them running than they make in income . This situation can be kept at bay by proper maintenance but nothing lasts for ever . :001_smile:

My chippers 14 years old,chucked thousands at it,apart from the kubota engine its practically new from top to bottom and chips like it is,better the devil a lot of the time I reckon.i also have a David brown 990 that runs firewood machine,splitter etc,spend on it what Ya need to and it'll serve you well.i think when you know something's a "dog" you know,I've a husky 560 that's little worked and let's me down daily,I'll throw no more money at it,I've a Cabstar that's worked its guts out and got a year left in it,good thread

I find somewhere in the middle can be a good compromise... ie i don't like being overly stressed by large finance repayments much yet at the same time downtime due to breakdowns is more costly than the finance repayments.

I had a few old tractors when i first started, i spent way way more time effort and money keeping the ruddy things running then my current offering which has hardly been worn in and has not cost me a penny all year. Id prefer scheduled finance repayments then regular breakdowns.

But new machines lose the most value in their first year or two....