New wood burner and flue

Mark Bolam

At last!

My bungalow is currently in the process of turning into a house.

Planning includes a wood burner.

Any recommendations would be helpful. Living room will be about 5mx5m, but I'd like to leave doors open to crank the heat elsewhere, so rather go bigger than smaller.

Must be able to take 12" logs, as small logs grind my beef.

Also, is it possible to have the flue in the upstairs bedroom acting as a vertical radiator, or is that a bad idea and better off boxed in?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just replaced my Bullerjan (bit too small for the house, even at 11kw) with a stove made by Martin Champion of Champion Stove Company

I originally got a small one (the Bonnie) for my office at work. I was very impressed by the build quality and price, so commissioned a monster for the house. It has the glass fronted door with the art deco sunburst pattern (you'll find pictures in the gallery). The firebox internal dimensions (with the firebricks in place) are 680mm x 400mm x 400mm. We reckon it is 20kw. Either way, it doesn't use that much wood, stays in overnight on softwood (noble fir) and I love it. Best thing is, it's British made and costs buttons. I'm not sure what he would generally charge for this stove (all his stoves are named after British motorcycles, so mine is named The Dominator!) as mine was a prototype and a bit cheaper. I would be surprised if it was over £500 though (no VAT).

Here is a crap picture of mine:

2014-04-04_19-43-20_356_zps845b4c92.jpg

I am in the process of getting quotes to extend my house, and included will be a wood burner. Putting the flue up through a room is exactly what I want to do. It acts as a radiator, and why waste the heat?

one thing for sure. I will burn all the logs no one wants to buy, conifer, old fence posts etc. Free heat

Normal arrangment:

Obviously require to insulate where it goes through the floor, but no reason not to use single skin steel flue pipe upstairs.

Or?

Consider an annular gap twixt the floor and the flue to allow the excess warm air to rise up through to the upstairs?

Because I suspect though some insulation round at least some of the flue is necessary to keep the flu gases hot enough /warm enough so as to ensure a good "draw" ?

Also more issues with condensate running back down if the flue is too cold.

i.e No free lunches.

m

I just need to keep everyone warm not cook em.

I jest :biggrin:

It's just this modern fashion for tall, boxy stoves that frustrates me. I spent ages looking for our first stove before settling on a Bullerjan. There are very few stoves that are long and deep (a layout that reduces the risk of logs falling out and maximises log length). On the same pallet as my monster stove, I brought up a little 7kw version of it for my retired ex-neighbour. Same art deco glass front door, 19" max log length, £285.

Jonathan