New Tipper

donnk

I have a transit tipper with a fairly lightweight body, completely empty it weights 2180 with half tank of diesel and no driver.... my old iveco crew cab tipper with a heavy boy admittedly weighed 2700kg empty.... that 2000kg IS the chassis cab weight, that crane with pump etc would weigh 400kg and the body with subframe and ram would be 450kg easy, so you will roughly be able to carry 300kg with tank of diesel and driver... i would be gutted if I was you

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way in the world that truck can carry 1.5 tonnes. A crew cab transit tipper can carry 750kg. My double cab cabstar carries 1tonne. Half a tonne if your lucky I reckon.

some guy on another forum recently boasted about buying a 6.3tonne iveco tipper with a crane, and down rating it to 3.5 tonnes to avoid o licence. He could only legally carry half a tonne, but said he would still put 3 tonne on it as its technically a 6.3. He failed to see that vosa would have other ideas.

The payload of a tipper Iveco is around 1.1ton with no tool box or sides and I'd assume spread over both axles.

We all know it will be overloaded and at best in that guise has a legal payload of 600kg, but it will carry far more with ease safely, just don't kid yourself. Practically all arb trucks are overloaded.

At the APF the Isuzu 3.5ton with grp sides had a legal pay load of 600kg empty, put 2 guys and kit and you can legally carry fresh air, but there are a huge fleet of these out for a large concern on a regular basis, got to wonder why do those running this large concern buy the vehicles and risk their guys license?

The same reason as everyone else I guess.

I think this is the crux of it- 3.5t are no good for arb work!!

I had my old cabstar on the weigh bridge and i couldnt carry anything once i had tools and two people in.

In the real world we are all just trying to make money with ever tightening regulations so inevitably we will be overloaded leaving the job. Keep the faith!!

although this one has well over a ton payload as built, if I was in your game I would go for the 7.2 ton (exactly same truck chassis) as you will have close to a 5 ton payload and no O licence/tacho paperwork to worry about. Also the running costs of a 3.5.

All in all very happy with it!