New Tipper

donnk

And this, to have an o-licence you really need a proper yard. At the moment I can afford a shipping container for the chipper and saws but I can't fork out for a place to store a wagon yet. All in the pipeline though

It's always the way in Arb work. You want a 7.5t vehicle, so you need a yard. Get a yard, get a 7.5t vehicle all of a sudden you want a bigger chipper. Big chipper fills the 7.5t vehicle too quickly. You want an 18tonner. Maybe a larger yard to accommodate and while you are there, maybe an even bigger chipper!

I have a bit of a 'habitat' when it comes to this and I am never satisfied with a machine for more than a couple of years before I want to go up one or two.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and I think we should all be doing it but it's not as simple as just doing these things. If you are just starting out and only have a few jobs here and there £3500 is a lot to fork out on top of all the other essentials you have to buy to set up in the industry. I'm not saying don't get a 7.5 tonne truck I'm just saying you have to prioritise in the beginning and work up to one. The 12 week inspections are a good thing for sure but what I'm getting at it is yet another cost that is not really feasible straight away. I run a transit at the moment with the plan of upgrading in a couple of years time but for the time being it is more trips to tip sites.

Yeah, and if you are just starting out, trying to be competitively priced against established firms running 3.5t and you have 7.5t or bigger with those sort of running costs, well i think you would do well to last more than a few months. Just my view.

Didn't he say it has a 7000kg Train Weight -so wouldn't a twin axel trailer allow him to tow another couple of ton? That would solve the problem, no? A wee chipper in the box, lift on and off with the crane....

Hey - could the crane be modified to double duty as a cherry picker? Handy for hedges etc.

Edited by Haironyourchest

There have been many negative posts regarding running trucks over 3.5 tons and they in the most part revolved around cost/investment. Has anyone here ever calculated the true cost of not running a proper truck as in the time wasted running about clearing up jobs ( the hard bit :) ) ? I think those of you that are stacked out with work would be surprised how much economic sense a truck makes. At the very least start thinking small Mog/tractor and trailers.

Just ramblings :)

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
fat fingers

There been many negative posts regarding running trucks over 3.5 tons and they in the most part revolve around cost/investment. Has anyone here ever calculated the true cost of not running a proper truck as in the time wasted running about clearing up jobs ( the hard bit :) ) ? I think those of you that are stacked out with work would be surprised how much economic sense a truck makes. At the very least start thinking small Mog/tractor and trailers.

Bob

^^^ +1

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk

There have been many negative posts regarding running trucks over 3.5 tons and they in the most part revolved around cost/investment. Has anyone here ever calculated the true cost of not running a proper truck as in the time wasted running about clearing up jobs ( the hard bit :) ) ? I think those of you that are stacked out with work would be surprised how much economic sense a truck makes. At the very least start thinking small Mog/tractor and trailers.

Bob

Dunno Bob, I've been running an 18 tonner as my main truck for nearly ten years now, I'm not sure it's worthwhile really. My suggestion is that all the 3.5 tonner brigade carry on as they are, at least until I've retired. :laugh1:

Lovely Truck,

Have you thought about sliding the body forward to butt it up to the hiab and bolting the tool boxes to the chassis ?

Only reason I mentioned is because it looks like too much over hang and your back axel will be grossly over loaded "when trucks loaded" and the front brakes won't be much cop

Also as said time & time again "all 3.5 tonners" are overloaded but if you "don't stand out" your a lot less likely to get pulled

Yes I run 3.5 but I run at night and I'm sure vosa are safely tucked up in bed in the small hours

Any way good luck with your brand new truck mate

Dunno Bob, I've been running an 18 tonner as my main truck for nearly ten years now, I'm not sure it's worthwhile really. My suggestion is that all the 3.5 tonner brigade carry on as they are, at least until I've retired. :laugh1:

:laugh1:

Nice truck donnk, what's your work?

I bet you wish you'd never started this thread

Bob

Yes I think Peter put some figures forward on a thread a long time go. They made perfect sense and were perfectly plausible IMO.

It was a good illustration of just how foolish a 3.5t is for Arb work if you're business is busy.

Now that's the crux. It's my opinion that many firms don't run efficiently and can never achieve the critical mass/volume of work to make the step to a lorry and big chipper.

Some people choose not to of course.

Yes I think Peter put some figures forward on a thread a long time go. They made perfect sense and were perfectly plausible IMO.

It was a good illustration of just how foolish a 3.5t is for Arb work if you're business is busy.

Now that's the crux. It's my opinion that many firms don't run efficiently and can never achieve the critical mass/volume of work to make the step to a lorry and big chipper.

Some people choose not to of course.

The 3.5t brigade can always sub in someone who has a bigger lorry to clear timber away quickly, leaving them free to get on to something else....

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk