New Tipper

donnk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been having this discussion on this forum for over 10 years.

3.5 ton trucks are not suitable for (most) tree work. (I have 4 including the LR and a 6 toner).

But still most outfits run them and it is rare for people to get done. If the police/VOSA were more proactive we would all have to use 6 ton trucks. I am not sure that wouldn't be a bad thing. They are more suitable, and you wouldn't have this bizarre system we have at the moment where trucks are made that shouldn't legally be used.

The o licence is not a major effort..

Getting a C1+E licence does not look that difficult and if everyone needed one it would become the norm.

What would be a worse offence driving overloaded or not having an operators licence? I know which is more dangerous..

We have been having this discussion on this forum for over 10 years.

3.5 ton trucks are not suitable for (most) tree work. (I have 4 including the LR and a 6 toner).

But still most outfits run them and it is rare for people to get done. If the police/VOSA were more proactive we would all have to use 6 ton trucks. I am not sure that wouldn't be a bad thing. They are more suitable, and you wouldn't have this bizarre system we have at the moment where trucks are made that shouldn't legally be used.

The o licence is not a major effort..

Getting a C1+E licence does not look that difficult and if everyone needed one it would become the norm.

What would be a worse offence driving overloaded or not having an operators licence? I know which is more dangerous..

I agree with this, however it's the cost of putting your 6 tonne truck in for a service every 6 or 10 weeks (can't remember which). A lot of smaller businesses can't afford this kind of set up. Plus if you work in a city centre it is a pain in the arse to get parked and set up on most jobs with a huge truck.

I'm not saying it's right to go round overloaded all the time but a lot of people aren't given much of a choice when starting out.

I have about a tonne spare in my transit after myself and a few saws are on and on bigger jobs I am tipping 4/5 times a day to stay legal.

I agree with this, however it's the cost of putting your 6 tonne truck in for a service every 6 or 10 weeks (can't remember which). A lot of smaller businesses can't afford this kind of set up. Plus if you work in a city centre it is a pain in the arse to get parked and set up on most jobs with a huge truck.

I'm not saying it's right to go round overloaded all the time but a lot of people aren't given much of a choice when starting out.

I have about a tonne spare in my transit after myself and a few saws are on and on bigger jobs I am tipping 4/5 times a day to stay legal.

You have inspections these would typically be 10-13 weeks for what we do, it's not a service, just a few hours labour max every few months.

A 6 ton truck is the same physical size as a 3.5t so your point about lack of space is invalid.

A lot of firms stick with 3.5t for their whole working life, using the usual ignorant by 'reasons' found in these threads. If you can't afford to run a lgv then you certainly can't afford to run an abused 3.5t IMO

Cost would NOT be an issue, if we all had to do it, we would just pass that on to the customer... As billy said, it is a 12 week inspection, not a bad thing and ensures your truck is in good condition.. We to run 3.5 ton trucks and normally send multiple trucks to big jobs..

Everyone considering the jump from 3.5t to c1 and beyond is always going to be put off by the initial cost. Getting a O license is maybe £500 in fees (provided you have a suitable depot), putting someone through a C1+E is going to be £1500 odd with medical, theory, practical, vehicle hire etc. 6-12 weekly tests are likely to be £100-180 ago depending on where you are. Lets say in the first three years you are looking at £3500 more plus the insurance. Not an insignificant amount of money but if you look at it as a 5 day a week, 48 week of the year cost its a fiver a day. Once you have a C1E or CE you've got it for life as well.I think its definitely worth it if tree work is your main job.

The biggest stumbling block is the operating centre. Lots of guys working from home or residential areas are pretty stuck. Even if you chose to register elsewhere people will soon start complaining with bigger commercials parked up.

Cost would NOT be an issue, if we all had to do it, we would just pass that on to the customer... As billy said, it is a 12 week inspection, not a bad thing and ensures your truck is in good condition.. We to run 3.5 ton trucks and normally send multiple trucks to big jobs..

Yeah and I think we should all be doing it but it's not as simple as just doing these things. If you are just starting out and only have a few jobs here and there £3500 is a lot to fork out on top of all the other essentials you have to buy to set up in the industry. I'm not saying don't get a 7.5 tonne truck I'm just saying you have to prioritise in the beginning and work up to one. The 12 week inspections are a good thing for sure but what I'm getting at it is yet another cost that is not really feasible straight away. I run a transit at the moment with the plan of upgrading in a couple of years time but for the time being it is more trips to tip sites.

Everyone considering the jump from 3.5t to c1 and beyond is always going to be put off by the initial cost. Getting a O license is maybe £500 in fees (provided you have a suitable depot), putting someone through a C1+E is going to be £1500 odd with medical, theory, practical, vehicle hire etc. 6-12 weekly tests are likely to be £100-180 ago depending on where you are. Lets say in the first three years you are looking at £3500 more plus the insurance. Not an insignificant amount of money but if you look at it as a 5 day a week, 48 week of the year cost its a fiver a day. Once you have a C1E or CE you've got it for life as well.I think its definitely worth it if tree work is your main job.

The biggest stumbling block is the operating centre. Lots of guys working from home or residential areas are pretty stuck. Even if you chose to register elsewhere people will soon start complaining with bigger commercials parked up.

And this, to have an o-licence you really need a proper yard. At the moment I can afford a shipping container for the chipper and saws but I can't fork out for a place to store a wagon yet. All in the pipeline though