Emigrating

RC0

It actually took us 4 years to get processed, because we were British. We were basically treading water in England for 4 years waiting for approval. However, if you are from, say, Ghana and many othe countries alike....it takes 8 weeks. The same process. So, being British turned out to be a real handicap. I guess the Canadian government don't believe in Oscars quote either.

Was having a wee laugh Reg, Canada has obviously been a great move for you. On a serious note though - surely you waited 4 years because you work in trees and Canada is not exactly short of tree workers?

If you are right about it being because you're British and not from Ghana etc then it's probably got a lot to do with Canada being one of the most politically correct countries in the world, they couldn't possibly be seen to be letting more Europeans in could they. They're desperate to lose the 'Great White North' tag

Great read reg and well said been in a not so different position myself. Being young probably very quick to think helped my decision. Working in England was great worked for some fantastic people and place but the county itself was just telling me to follow my heart with what I wanted to do explore the world. I left everything behind girlfriend family everything to work and travel mainly for a year in Australia. Packed a bag full of basic climbing gear and a few clothes and that was all. Well plans changed people move on and that was 2 years ago and guess where I still am. Australia home for now for a good few years gained sponsorship after driving round the country and ending up in the northern beaches of Sydney. Working for a great company doing all sorts of work and thoroughly enjoying it. Who knows where life will take me but for now this is home.

Well, immigrating might be a good thing for some but not me..

Like Shyluck I'm rooted to my part of Britain.. lived in the same village since I was born..

Most of my friends are still here, I know most everyone I bump into and most folks are friendly round'n abouts..

But, If'n I did happen to fancy a move, I can't think of a better place than the US, seems to have everything..

I imagine Europe might come on the radar as a spot to move to if'n it wasn't for the language barrier..

I wouldn't mind roughing it out through a Siberian winter in some out the way log cabin, a woodfire and enough to eat to get through the Winter.. then back home..

See, thats the thing, goin abroad is good for a break, a challenge, or a few years off. But you can't beat being back home...

Whats the best feeling about going away?... eventually makin your back and seein that landmark that roots you to the place.. that for me is an old railway bridge that meets yours eyes as your wind your way down the brew... a big black ugly stone bridge that heralds your arrival back home..

You can't beat it...

Was having a wee laugh Reg, Canada has obviously been a great move for you. On a serious note though - surely you waited 4 years because you work in trees and Canada is not exactly short of tree workers?

If you are right about it being because you're British and not from Ghana etc then it's probably got a lot to do with Canada being one of the most politically correct countries in the world, they couldn't possibly be seen to be letting more Europeans in could they. They're desperate to lose the 'Great White North' tag

We were both on the skills shortage list, we're of the right age and had sufficient funds. I think many Brits get in sooner because they they take the sponsorship route via an employer.....so they work while waiting for their application to be processed, or sponsorship is basically their ticket into the country. Well, I didn't want a job, I wanted to be independent. So we had to wait it out in England. I don't know exactly why it's so much faster for other nationality.....maybe there's a quota per year or something. Chinese, for example, seem to breeze in really easily. 1/3 of Vancouvers population is now Asian. The Government has welcomed foriegn (Chinese) money for the longest time now.....but now you can't by a house there as a result. Too expensive.

Vancouver Island is a little different because it's separated by ocean, obviously. Not so convenient for big business. It's probably the size of England but with with a population of just 750,000. If you can get a living here, a niche, then it's pretty great. And, from our perspective, theyre not going to run out of trees anytime soon. I know certainly some of the forestry lads on here would have a field day within an urban setting even. Lots of opportunity to fall huge trees without ever leaving the ground....so long as you trust your aim.

I know and appreciate some people's sentiment about the familiarity of where their roots are. One of the high points in my most UK recent visit wad admiring the beauty of the rolling green hills. Here it's a different kind of land scape on the whole...wilder I suppose. You see bald eagles, vultures and osprey frequently throughout your working week. 2 weeks ago there was a cougar sighting just at the end if our street by the lake. A little unnerving, but kinda cool. So while I have many engraved images of the things and places I liked about the UK, they have now been replaced by others over here, equally magnificent. Your standpoint changes with time. Here's a view from the top of a Doug fir more recently....pretty typical of the area. It's a really nice environment to live and work.

597671ece1925_2016-10-0508_34_37.jpg.3407a0ea58432ae34d15f2f067ec32e3.jpg

After the H & S Legislation I have had to sit through today during a ROLO course...

It has only confirmed that it is getting harder and harder to do this work in this country and the one way out for me is to move.

I am glad it worked for you Reg and thanks for starting the thread as it has really cemented the plans in my mind.

After the H & S Legislation I have had to sit through today during a ROLO course...

It has only confirmed that it is getting harder and harder to do this work in this country and the one way out for me is to move.

I am glad it worked for you Reg and thanks for starting the thread as it has really cemented the plans in my mind.

Hah!

We had a visit from the inspector of works.

They where more interested in our toilet facilities (wood chip pile) than any H&S...

Vive La Libertie de France!

Ty

Hey Reg,

Do you get do any old fashioned pruning like with birches and oaks or is it all 45m conifer take downs?

Regards

Ty

Absolutely. There's lots of deciduous trees in and around the city....but as you move out it becomes predominantly conifers. The truth is I make better money for smaller trees for the the time and effort involved. I wish there were more work like that put my way.

Absolutely. There's lots of deciduous trees in and around the city....but as you move out it becomes predominantly conifers. The truth is I make better money for smaller trees for the the time and effort involved. I wish there were more work like that put my way.

Same everywhere on that one mate.

A 2 man team can knock out 4 £200 birch kills in a day, but once you start pricing the bigger jobs clients start sucking their teeth.