Emigrating

RC0

I moved 184 miles to the highlands and I think it's as close to Canada / Norway/ Sweden as I'm going to get without getting on a plane.

People are not as stressed, there are less of them and the great out doors is amazing, the weather is so much dryer and colder compared to where I was on the west coast.

IMG_0935.jpg.8cb62ad332e39e2a6ca958beb044b373.jpg

I moved 184 miles to the highlands and I think it's as close to Canada / Norway/ Sweden as I'm going to get without getting on a plane.

People are not as stressed, there are less of them and the great out doors is amazing, the weather is so much dryer and colder compared to where I was on the west coast.

Looks and sounds healthy , what's the midges like.

Nice post, my Mrs and I have a little boy of 16months and another on the way. We're both 24. Were desperate to get on a plane out of here but are waiting till we've bought a house that we can rent out while we're away so we have something to fall back on with the kids. Getting a mortgage when your self employed isn't as simple as I first thought it might be.

I'm a freelance climber for 90% of the time starting to get a steady trickle of my own stuff coming in. It's hard not to commit to setting myself up properly and buying chipper. I just know that if a do I'll never be able to leave, the better money, my passion for tree work and sense of pride in a job well done can be an addictive combination.

Just know that if we don't leave in the next 2-3 years we never will, she'd go mental and climbing those big trees in oz, nz and Canada has been a dream of mine since the beginning.

You just keep posting those vids reg, keep the dream alive in my head for me, at least for now;)

Nice and honest

There is never a perfect time to leave, but now sounds as good as any for you. Once the baby has arrived of course. Good luck

Despite my father's vile treatment of my mother, I love the man dearly for having the balls to get the hell out of N Carolina, and into California, with an entire brood of ten kids.

Takes a lotta guts to roll the dice like that.

So happy it worked well for you too Reg!

Steady on mate!

Jomoco

I WISH THERE WAS A 'LIKE' BUTTON!!!!!

So many good posts here.

I think you have to do the jump before your children are 10. I think you have to be under 35 too.

My brother left the UK for Aus when he was 19, the day he recieved his apprenticeship papers and he's never looked back.

I had a look round when I was 28-31 and was very tempted but I had a good job and a wreck of a house I was renovating.

I'm nearly 60 now and have achieved all that I'm going to physically and I'm not emigrating except as a tourist. I'm still renovating but on my own terms and this is also my pension!

The biggest asset is youth as from 55 onwards your body lets you down. My days work is very fulfilling as I don't ever have to undo anything but I'm operating at half speed!....

codlasher

Edited by codlasher
puntuation

We'll be gone before Brexit comes into effect.

I'm half German and am eligible automatically for a German passport. I've always been conflicted but the UK's decision to leave the EU has given us the final push. My wife has enrolled on a German Open Uni course, though she does speak some German.

Planning to move to Rheinland-Pfalz, specifically the Eifel mountains, near the Belgian and Luxembourg border (and the Nurburgring, for you petrol heads out there). The countryside is lovely (forested steep hills, to 748m), the climate is much better (cold winters, hot summers), houses are much cheaper, the infrastructure is better and I like the quietly reserved nature of the Germans. Much better opportunities for our daughter (27 months) as well, as she would grow up at the very least tri lingual.

The reasons the UK is going down the pan are many, and that is a separate thread, but I just don't see a sustainable future for us here.

And the weather in Scotland has finally broken me. It's nice at the moment, but this is the first spell of stable, pleasant weather for just over 3 months.

Good luck to all those planning to move abroad!

Love the scenery up your way and aye there's no shortage of things to do, although the scenery is pretty stunning up the West Coast, Kinlochleven up to Applecross and onwards is fantastic if you get the weather.

To be honest once you cross the Erskine or Forth bridge the scenery is pretty special :thumbup1:

We'll be gone before Brexit comes into effect.

I'm half German and am eligible automatically for a German passport. I've always been conflicted but the UK's decision to leave the EU has given us the final push. My wife has enrolled on a German Open Uni course, though she does speak some German.

Planning to move to Rheinland-Pfalz, specifically the Eifel mountains, near the Belgian and Luxembourg border (and the Nurburgring, for you petrol heads out there). The countryside is lovely (forested steep hills, to 748m), the climate is much better (cold winters, hot summers), houses are much cheaper, the infrastructure is better and I like the quietly reserved nature of the Germans. Much better opportunities for our daughter (27 months) as well, as she would grow up at the very least tri lingual.

The reasons the UK is going down the pan are many, and that is a separate thread, but I just don't see a sustainable future for us here.

And the weather in Scotland has finally broken me. It's nice at the moment, but this is the first spell of stable, pleasant weather for just over 3 months.

Good luck to all those planning to move abroad!

Good luck to you too, sounds great where you're going. I think though it's us who stay in the UK that need the luck most.