Ranger and Dealer woes.

PeteB

• 1 month later...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you may need to fit an electrical ballast to get the voltages correct on the trailer electrics, they're only a few quid on eBay. I'm not an electrician so please don't ask any difficult follow up questions! I had a similar issue retro fitting led rear lights on an oils truck

Ford Ranger with factory fitted towbar and electrics doesn't like LED lights! Bristol Street say that Ford don't have a fix!!! Anyone had similar issues and what was the fix?

The tow bars are made for ford by a company called "Brink" based over Coventry way, they are part of Thule, chap called Andrew George is the MD, he knows his stuff, when you get the kit you will see that all the rangers have a trailer prep pack fitted, so the hardware bolts on and electrics get plugged in, some get fitted at factory and some at dealer, when the dealer fits there is two options of wiring up depending on if it's a led trailer or not, you will be able to source a supplementary kit, should be plug and play think it's under the passenger seat where it plugs in, it happens as the low voltage activity on the can bus is enough to fire the leds, I guess they are flickering ? hope this helps

Ford Ranger with factory fitted towbar and electrics doesn't like LED lights! Bristol Street say that Ford don't have a fix!!! Anyone had similar issues and what was the fix?

Hi

Just curious how the problem manifests itself in regards to the LED lights as ive fitted LED,s into the ladder rack on an ifor and just wired into the spare spades on the bar within the box under the front left corner. So far ive no problems with the set up mind you its only on whilst reversing so not sustained use.

On a different note in a previous post i stated that i was happy with my 65 plate wildtrack up to now but that only time will tell in long run, Well time has told and now its sitting in the dealer again. This is its 7th visit not including the shockingly over priced first service within the first 13 months and 17000 miles since purchase . Faults have ranged from minor electrical glitches to major ABS and braking system problems. Front left speed sensor went and this caused the ABS to believe its operation was required at the time it was bone dry and i was towing a loaded 14ft tri axle ifor end result was basically no brakes and having to use the handbrake to stop. After 3 trips to dealer they finally found fault .

Windscreen wiper motor packed in cabin rattles something rotten and now blue tooth has packed in. First trip to dealer regarding blue tooth i was asked did it have blue tooth fitted as standard WTF !!! ive used it for a year its supposedly a top of range model you think they would know . Anyway thats the grumble over for now just wish i could get out of the deal im in to tell truth. they are a good tool when going ok and maybe ive been unlucky but the repeated trips to main dealer are proving to be a total pain.

Unfortunately looking at the latest generation of pick ups i see more of a trend to lifestyle blinged up toys rather than a hard working well put together working tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just looking for some spare parts for an Ifor and read this in the lighting spares catalogue

** Some vehicles present so far insoluble problems when coupled to a trailer with LED lights. This may take the form of the hazard warning lights flashing continuously and there may be other problems too. Many other vehicles perform faultlessly when connected to LED equipped trailers. However, where such problems do occur, these are vehicle problems and Ifor Williams Trailers will not be responsible for their resolution. Owners are strongly advised to make thorough checks with the vehicle manufacturer before buying or specifying LED trailer lights.

looks like the fix is to buy a trailer without LEDs :confused1:

If it's of interest, I've had this blessed problem with can bus electrics on my transit. When my new chipper with its leds was plugged in the tranny went bonkers, hazards coming on, fog lights you name it , if vosa had pulled me over my feet wouldn't have touched the ground. Solved it eventuallybut took long time with various so called electrical experts looking at it and rubbing their chin whiskers.

Edited by oldwoodcutter

if fitting led,s don't you need to fit load resistors?. otherwise the indicators flash fast

Only if the relay kit is not LED suitable.

When I changed my trailer to LED I had already fitted a suitable kit to my car with the wifes car would not work with them.

Till I changed her cars relay I actually wired up standard lights in parallel inside the box trailer so the LED ones would work properly. Basically using the lights as the resistors which are mimicking real lights lol.

My 16 plate and new ifor on LEDs works

Surely the biggest issue with the ranger is all the bloody chimes and bleeps, i hate them to the point I'm thinking of getting shot of it

there must be a way to tone them down or even disable them via a 'settings menu' or so some research on the forums on how to disable them.