DdRT Injuries

RC0

An Ivy choked wrc would be a perfect example for me as to why SRT is so effective.

I would love to see how that is done as they are a particular pet hate of mine , how do you get an anchor to start ? Another type that is hard work is dismantling a Lombardy pop , tip roping each branch and cutting at the base of each branch so up and down a lot , the pantin is very useful in this situation .

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a working video. Pruning a multi stemmed big leaf maple. I say 'working' video....not a 10 minute bell ringing climb around a pre-thineed tree. So, it's a bit stop start. But the good use of redirects, constant friction and 1:1 ratio with the foot ascender is apparent. Speaking of ascending....many of the trees we work in this particular area are well over a hundred feet, often 90 to the first limb. So, Ddrt would be painfully inefficient in this environment, to either watch or partake. Also, I have no hand in design, manufacturer or retail in any such SRT equipment:

Thanks for the video , but it is a bit hard to evaluate from what I see , certainly for tall upright trees with an achievable anchor point with a throw bag , then using leg muscles is obviously easier , like many other climbers I am interested but would need to be convinced before committing to it , Mr Bulman had a thread running on here recently charting his progress but it did not seem to be an immediate success ? . I am looking for enlightenment but finding it hard to find .....

There have been plenty examples of climbers extolling the virtues of SRT yet so few people seem to use it , a recent poll on this forum showed a very low take up . I am now 55 and only climb part time nowadays and have never had any problems with ddrt , although for many years I have used jumars and now a pantin for longer ascents ( often with help from a groundsman ) I have yet to see a real world demo / use of srt , the only times seem to be at shows etc in big open crown trees in a park like setting where the skill is all in the use of a throw bag to obtain a good anchor point ( if not already in place ) I would like to see an ivy choked western red cedar tackled for example . Also I feel the biggest wear and tear on my body has not been from climbing but all the other labouring involved in the industry . I hope to see and learn more at the APF show and am interested yet not convinced enough to spend the money and change from what I feel is a great method ( ddrt ) but happy to be proved wrong !! Obviously the gear sellers will put across a convincing tale but I would rather see it in action by someone who does it for a living on all sorts of jobs ....

Well I would say just give it a go. It will feel really awkward at first (just as Ddrt did when you first started).

Here is something else to chew on. Without oxygen, irreversible brain damage starts to occur within 3 to 5 minutes. You will also bleed out in a similar time frame if you sever an artery. With SRT I am able to be "rescue rigged" from the get go. I use a basal tie off with a petzl rig which my groundie can use to lower me safely to the ground in the event of an emergency without having to don any climbing gear or leave the ground. I personally think this is of huge benefit as even a non-climbing groundie could perform the rescue.

Well I would say just give it a go. It will feel really awkward at first (just as Ddrt did when you first started).

Here is something else to chew on. Without oxygen, irreversible brain damage starts to occur within 3 to 5 minutes. You will also bleed out in a similar time frame if you sever an artery. With SRT I am able to be "rescue rigged" from the get go. I use a basal tie off with a petzl rig which my groundie can use to lower me safely to the ground in the event of an emergency without having to don any climbing gear or leave the ground. I personally think this is of huge benefit as even a non-climbing groundie could perform the rescue.

In several years of lurking on arb sites - and gleaning much valuable knowledge - that is the most brilliant thing I have read. That's what I'm going to do, and I hadn't thought of it. So glad I checked. The rescue thing is the one thing that stumped me while working as a groundie, in. Fact it just wasn't a possibility. Thanks man.

Why weren't you lanyarded in when you suffered an arterial bleed?

You cant be lowered if your tied in with your lanyard

I would love to see how that is done as they are a particular pet hate of mine , how do you get an anchor to start ? Another type that is hard work is dismantling a Lombardy pop , tip roping each branch and cutting at the base of each branch so up and down a lot , the pantin is very useful in this situation .

Bag over the top, line installed, base tie, ascend, wahey!, you're on top of all the crud straight away rather than battling through it. At this point I'd normally put a top tie in rather than severing my base leg in the Ivy.

Dismantling populus nigra italica is a dream for tip tying with SRT. Tip tie, descend to make cut, climb back up stem on spikes without tending by having rope bag tied to the bottom of your rope to create slight tension.

Repeat, finish, pub.

Or rec climb if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yes I knew a bright spark would point that out. The rescue obviously relies on the climber still being conscious and being able to undo his lanyard. Not too much of a stretch though. I'd like to think I could manage that. Also even if you have to have a climber climb up and cut/release a lanyard of an unconscious victim anyone else on the ground can lower in a controlled manner without that climber having to faff around getting into position and attaching himself.

Edited by Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
spelling

In several years of lurking on arb sites - and gleaning much valuable knowledge - that is the most brilliant thing I have read. That's what I'm going to do, and I hadn't thought of it. So glad I checked. The rescue thing is the one thing that stumped me while working as a groundie, in. Fact it just wasn't a possibility. Thanks man.

Its my pleasure. As pointed out there are scenarios where a climber may have to ascend anyway but it should still speed up the rescue.

Hopefully I will never have to find out. As I am rather fond of the few brain cells I have left.

Reg, few quick thoughts on the issue.................

most of your work involves long ascents and descents which SRT is brilliant for. A lot your work is spiked removals and other than the re-direct limitations of DdRT when compared to SRT I can't see a major advantage in that scenario.

SRT is good but there's no way it will replace DdRT wholesale - for most climbers DdRT when not rushed and carried out by an experienced climber is far smoother than SRT, it's 2:1, it's less bouncy, it's better for fine adjustments when getting into a work position, the system tightens easier (easier than a ropewrench set up anyway). Psychologically and visually DdRT will always feel safer than a single line, ok DdRT is still a single line, but it's a doubled single line and for most people that will look twice as safe as a single line especially on a long branchwalk at 70ft.

The SRT base tie off for working in a tree is an inherently bad idea, top tie fine. With DdRT every part of the working line is above you and in most situations it's visible, in contrast large portions of a base tie SRT down line are not seen, that's always gonna be a concern........... the ground rescue argument of a base tie off is bordering on pathetic because you're essentially arguing it's safer to climb on a more dangerous system (base tie) because you can be rescued from the ground. I'm not saying you expect to be rescued from a base tie but many people advocating SRT use base tie offs with belay devices whilst working in the tree.

SRT is much quicker and more efficent for ascent into big/tall trees no denying that (provided the climber can set a line with a bag within a few attempts).

You say you get more work done in a day with SRT, fine now that you're working for yourself, would you say the same if still contract climbing? :biggrin:

Edited by scotspine1