DdRT Injuries

RC0

In reply to Jomocos post:

I'm not going to go through every scenario of when I would and wouldn't use a basal tie off. As it is not what this thread is about. Its about adopting an alternative climbing system that advocates of the method believe puts less stress on your body.

Yes there are limitations and dangers associated with all access methods whether it be srt,ddrt, flipline, ladder, mewp, wraptor, crane, helicopter, jetpack, trebuchet etc. It is up to the educated climber to assess which method best fits his needs. Its called risk assessment.

Edited by Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bag over the top, line installed, base tie, ascend, wahey!, you're on top of all the crud straight away rather than battling through it. At this point I'd normally put a top tie in rather than severing my base leg in the Ivy.

Dismantling populus nigra italica is a dream for tip tying with SRT. Tip tie, descend to make cut, climb back up stem on spikes without tending by having rope bag tied to the bottom of your rope to create slight tension.

Repeat, finish, pub.

Or rec climb if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I believe you ... but I just can't really visualise just hurling a throw bag over the top of the tree and then after pulling the rope through without it getting stuck , not knowing if it is safely in a fork that is unseen , and then having the faith to ascend on it ,I would really like to watch some one do it !! then I would probably get in to it ...

After swinging on the rope with a fat groundie it will always be wedged in something load bearing.

It's twice as dangerous as Ddrt, but you earn twice the money in the same time without ending up with elbows that aren't fit to tug off with.

Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Where do you folk get these fat groundies from...

I don't think we "need" to get away from hip thrusting.

Undoubtedly the new methods are better, enough people who's opinions I rate on this and other forums have said so. Especially on deadwooding, light reductions and that sort of thing..

On a spur removal where you're not having to go out to the ends or anything, a ddrt with a blakes or similar will do the job, no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I don't think we "need" to get away from hip thrusting.

Undoubtedly the new methods are better, enough people who's opinions I rate on this and other forums have said so. Especially on deadwooding, light reductions and that sort of thing..

On a spur removal where you're not having to go out to the ends or anything, a ddrt with a blakes or similar will do the job, no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Hip thrusting is inefficient in my opinion.

We'll agree to differ on this one

Ah , ... I need a fat groundie !! Thanks for the explanation , but it would feel very odd to me to do it that way ..... any way the original subject of this post was about RSI which I can see and know of people suffering from but never had a problem myself but always looking and thinking of ways to make life a bit easier , and not just the climbing side of things ...

In reply to Jomocos post:

I'm not going to go through every scenario of when I would and wouldn't use a basal tie off. As it is not what this thread is about. Its about adopting an alternative climbing system that advocates of the method believe puts less stress on your body.

Yes there are limitations and dangers associated with all access methods whether it be srt,ddrt, flipline, ladder, mewp, wraptor, crane, helicopter, jetpack, trebuchet etc. It is up to the educated climber to assess which method best fits his needs. Its called risk assessment.

But it's not the educated climbers either myself or any companies/industry associations are concerned about mate.

It's the YouTube copycat dumb guys who don't know shite bout mechanical advantage applying directly to SRT configurations.

You wanna know why some folks are leary of anyone sayin SRT's superior in all situations except crane work?

Because it ain't true, not even close.

Knowing the limitations of both systems is vital to any climber's well being.

Jomoco

Hip thrusting is inefficient in my opinion.

We'll agree to differ on this one

Of course it's inefficient, but it's not smoking a joint full of asbestos either.

I'm not dogmatic about it, or in a broader sense, disagreeing with you.

If, like someone on the west coast of the US, you are self propelling yourself 90' to the first branch of a fir tree it's an issue.

If, like most of us, it's a ladder 20' to the first branch of a 60/70 foot oak not so much.