When your own dog turns on you.

eggsarascal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We had a 3-4 year rescue collie that had been assessed by (national dog rescue organisation) as suitable for living with kids of any age. He was good as gold with the vets but very protective over food (fair enough). However after he'd nipped me and snapped at my 7 year-old daughter for no particular reason, at Christmas my nephew (also from a dog owning family) was giving him a stroke when the next thing we heard was a yelp, a scream and the dog had its jaws right around my nephew's forearm. That was enough of a warning signal for me, too much to risk with two young kids at home and their friends coming around occasionally. When we returned the dog to the rescue centre, they basically said it's not uncommon behaviour from collies although having grown up in a dairy / sheep farming community with a lot of working collies, I never remember one being a biting dog.

Sorry to hear your news, Eggs.

We had a six year old rescue collie that was similar - bit me, my boss, my in-laws and eventually my wife. When we found out we had a baby on the way we decided to take him back to the rescue centre.

Sorry to hear your news Eggs - horrible situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Right then, Mrs Egg fetched the dog back home. He has bitten before but it was a nip rather than an attack, when he got hold of me he was serious. Yes it was a stinking hot day, is that an excuse though?

We'll just have to keep him and the other dog apart, call us stupid, if you like, but he's getting one more chance. he will be muzzled when he goes out for a walk from now on.

If he gets me or the boss that's our luck out.

Right then, Mrs Egg fetched the dog back home. He has bitten before but it was a nip rather than an attack, when he got hold of me he was serious. Yes it was a stinking hot day, is that an excuse though?

We'll just have to keep him and the other dog apart, call us stupid, if you like, but he's getting one more chance. he will be muzzled when he goes out for a walk from now on.

If he gets me or the boss that's our luck out.

Could be a child next

Not stupid at all. I think you get between fighting dogs at your own peril. If they,re seeing red anyone butting in is an aggressor and the enemy.

I wouldn't think you need to muzzle it, just realise that when the adrenaline is flowing it can't distinguish between friend and foe. It might make it more aggressive if it doesn't feel that it can defend itself, if the need arises.

I don't think collies make good house pets especially with kids.

I've known a number of them turn. They're known to be highly strung and like most working breeds, if they aren't doing what they were bred to I.e working. Then they are susceptible to behaviour problems. I know not everyone will agree with me but it's what I've experienced over the years.

If I was looking for a dog to have as a pet with kids a collie wouldn't even make the list as a possibility.

I don't think collies make good house pets especially with kids.

I've known a number of them turn. They're known to be highly strung and like most working breeds, if they aren't doing what they were bred to I.e working. Then they are susceptible to behaviour problems. I know not everyone will agree with me but it's what I've experienced over the years.

If I was looking for a dog to have as a pet with kids a collie wouldn't even make the list as a possibility.

Yes ..

Not a nice situation at all ..

But by god would that dog be earning it's keep , even if it means carrying the messages home every day

As you know Eggs . I was there a couple of months ago with the working cocker in my avitar . He did have to go on his way and it broke my heart . He was the best dog I have ever had out but the third time he attacked my wife and daughter I had no choice .

As you know Eggs . I was there a couple of months ago with the working cocker in my avitar . He did have to go on his way and it broke my heart . He was the best dog I have ever had out but the third time he attacked my wife and daughter I had no choice .

It's sickening Stubby.

I've had this dog from a pup, worked him, retired him, and took him to work with me every day. Mrs Egg took him to the vets yesterday and I didn't know if she would come back with him or not. She can be hard at times.

The vet suggested we take it to a dog behaviourist. I think we can give that a miss, we've only had working dogs for the last thirty years.:001_rolleyes:

if we had children I think it would be a different story

Poxy things laying on me Racing Post now.:biggrin: