When do you quote?

Ian C

You could always drop a lombardy across the 621 and make sure someone films it. That should free up some time.

No charge this time Ian, but I am thinking of going in to business consultancy.

hahahahaha I don't have the Skill to do that sorry mark! you have to be AA approved to make such cock ups.

sorry Paul.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only just set up and found if I have a job where I have a few people on board I get to the home stretch and leave them to it to nip off and do a couple of quotes, back in time for the clear up.

You'll find if you ask the customer if they can leave the gate open you can nip in and have a look even if they are not in. Then just give them a phone call later and pass on the quote verbally and or by e-mail.

I prefer to meet people in person when I quote but have come to except that we live in a busy world and its not always possible.

I try not to let business get in the way of family life but had a week last week when I was out doing quotes and sorting things out till late. You get some weeks or even months like that.

The way I see it is I have to put in the effort to keep the money rolling in and I just try and enjoy the quiet periods and spend time with the kids.

Doubt this will be of great help but may be useful.

I book easier smaller jobs on a saturday for the lads to do . I can manage about 17 quotes if I set out early enough and plan the route well.

That way I can squeeze the odd ones in during the week. That's covering a big city (Bham).

Planning the jobs that I can leave guys on while I nip and do the quotes is helpful.

So far I haven't had to do many in the evenings.

Just spent my lunch break perusing the latest Arb Magazine. On page 35 there is an article about Arboricultural Business Management. It relates primarily to a course, I assume run by the AA about, well, arboricultural business management. There's a date for next years course 20 - 21 June 2017.

I'm not sure of the cost but I'm sure the information will be available from either Paul, or AA HQ. If you're going into management then it will be worth considering doing something like this as a minimum.

Ed

Thanks Ed, albeit I'm not involved in its delivery (Paul Elcoat & Simon Cox, my colleague here at the Arb Assoc are) it does seem to be very well received. Its a 2-day course and cost, on average (member / none member rates) is £550 +VAT (inc. B&B).

They had some evening speakers on Day 1 this year, people from the industry, which apparently went down very well too. Delegate feedback also rated "networking" very highly...an added bonus.

The point being is that to successfully manage a business, including allocation of resources and roles etc, generally requires a different skill set to that most arb's will have experienced previously and hence something like this can help.

Regards..

Paul

Thanks Ed, albeit I'm not involved in its delivery (Paul Elcoat & Simon Cox, my colleague here at the Arb Assoc are) it does seem to be very well received. Its a 2-day course and cost, on average (member / none member rates) is £550 +VAT (inc. B&B).

They had some evening speakers on Day 1 this year, people from the industry, which apparently went down very well too. Delegate feedback also rated "networking" very highly...an added bonus.

The point being is that to successfully manage a business, including allocation of resources and roles etc, generally requires a different skill set to that most arb's will have experienced previously and hence something like this can help.

Regards..

Paul

That's so true Paul.

I ran my business really badly for years because I just wanted to be climbing and cutting trees.

Learning from your mistakes, business-wise, as I did, is not really the best way forward.

As for people who will only see you in the evenings, you need to be desparate for work if you are doing this a lot I think.

Even healthcare shuts at 5-6pm why should you rotate around everyone else's universe?

Or you take time off to offset this.

Having a manager would be my ideal. Do the office work and quotes. Give a bonus incentive. Give them a proper title but not manager. Egos swell and things get awkward.

Some might think the following comment is discriminatory but hear me out.

If you was able to employ an older person, or someone you would not ordinarily employ on the tools, a woman or a handicapped person.

You will often find they appreciate being valued and useful in a capacity they can achieve. Who acknowledge the graft done by the team.Also the lads/lasses on the tools will respect them for having a go in a career and not get jealous or bitter about them having the physically easier job.

Whereas if you give a smooth metrosexual 20something the job. The guys are gonna want blood.

I speak as a profoundly deaf person of over 35 years like my brother who is also hard of hearing (probably profound) who has been rejected for it but have also excelled when given the chance we both operate large machinery competently amongst other things. Deaf not daft. Although can be.

As for people who will only see you in the evenings, you need to be desparate for work if you are doing this a lot I think.

Even healthcare shuts at 5-6pm why should you rotate around everyone else's universe?

Or you take time off to offset this.

Having a manager would be my ideal. Do the office work and quotes. Give a bonus incentive. Give them a proper title but not manager. Egos swell and things get awkward.

Some might think the following comment is discriminatory but hear me out.

If you was able to employ an older person, or someone you would not ordinarily employ on the tools, a woman or a handicapped person.

You will often find they appreciate being valued and useful in a capacity they can achieve. Who acknowledge the graft done by the team.Also the lads/lasses on the tools will respect them for having a go in a career and not get jealous or bitter about them having the physically easier job.

Whereas if you give a smooth metrosexual 20something the job. The guys are gonna want blood.

I speak as a profoundly deaf person of over 35 years like my brother who is also hard of hearing (probably profound) who has been rejected for it but have also excelled when given the chance we both operate large machinery competently amongst other things. Deaf not daft. Although can be.

Excellent post.