Fitness Standards For Industries

jomoco

I agree absolutely about not being able to effectively monitor a casualty while in transit, and maybe further destabilising said casualty. But I get the feeling that we're drifting into mountain rescue territory a bit. Surely a lot would depend on the distance from the worksite to the nearest roadside or roadhead? In a UK type environment, how far from a road would one ever be likely to work? Yet even a short distance over rough ground might pose problem for a paramedic crew - mountain rescue, no problem, but for your standard 999 call out? I dunno.

Locating via whistle would be a matter of course. Strobe beacon, while a great bit of kit for hikers, not really relevant for arb (anyone do arb at night? If so, then yes, absolutely)

Having said that, I would still not bother with a stretcher. Assuming a three man team, the incapacitated could still be dragged out if time was a crucial factor. Unless the stretcher was lugged from the vehicle to the worksite before work commenced, it might not be much of a time saver anyway. Smoke flares would be handy for heli-evac though - there are places even in UK where a chopper might be what is dispatched. A lady was airlifted to hospital locally not long ago, we're 90 min from A&E and if the ambulance is on another call...

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say "Arb" but chainsaws are used in many places, think forestry for saws and potential accidents in remote places.

I think you have to have seen a strobe from the air to realise just how effective they are day or night.

One of the main problems for an air ambulance is locating the casualty and a strobe is "the" tool for that job. Members of the public frequently wave to low flying helicopters and their needs and intentions need clarification which eats into rescue time. A strobe, even in daylight says "over here boys" They weigh as good as nothing and certainly less than a stretcher. If your work takes you into remote areas (forestry) its a worthwhile tool, perhaps not for Mrs Miggins garden though.:laugh1:

Interesting. Maybe I'll get one, would be handy for roadside emergencies as well. Would it be seen under tree canopy though? I was reading they have a new signalling gadget out, it's a high powered green lazer, but emits in a flat fan shape, at altitude it's highly visible but not strong enough to dazzle. You pan the fan up and down at the aircraft, and it can't fail to be seen as a green flash, no direct hit required.

You say "Arb" but chainsaws are used in many places, think forestry for saws and potential accidents in remote places.

I think you have to have seen a strobe from the air to realise just how effective they are day or night.

One of the main problems for an air ambulance is locating the casualty and a strobe is "the" tool for that job. Members of the public frequently wave to low flying helicopters and their needs and intentions need clarification which eats into rescue time. A strobe, even in daylight says "over here boys" They weigh as good as nothing and certainly less than a stretcher. If your work takes you into remote areas (forestry) its a worthwhile tool, perhaps not for Mrs Miggins garden though.:laugh1:

Part of the site specific risk assesment should be providing a grid reference for air ambulance landing zone

I have a gps rescue gadget, they have all my details, area of work, know what I do and relevant injuries that come from this line of work.

It's part of the Arbaid kit.

Theres no way that works, i bet you have never checked the batteries OR you have stole them for the remote control. I've never even took that gps thing out the box i thought it was a star trek ray gun thing ( that would be awesome) . :biggrin: