Best Bank?

Highland Forestry

RBS here, I have found them pretty good, I only pay 4.5%over base on my overdraft (20k facility) and I really like their internet banking. My one gripe is that despite repeated requests they seem unable to provide me with debit card that works at automated fuel pumps, even though the one I got for an employee on the same account works fine??

That is the facial recognition software kicking in Tom.

Good to know it works....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santander stick out for me now as being the worst of a bad bunch.

Everyone else now has signed up to 'faster payments' i.e. instant internet transfer. Apparently they have as well.

Santander not only frick me around with my mortgage (tied in for another 2 months) payments, but still take 3 days to process internet or even cash payments. It's illegal and they know it.

They are all out for themselves, obviously, but Santander are pure scum.

Any bank offering you the ability to talk to a local manager are the one to go with, and it shifts in different areas.

I find the natwest pretty good

you get a business manager who you have a mobile number for and they actually pick up most of the time.

Faster payments works

Theres a branch about 500 yds away plus one in town

charges are now a bit steep but i suppose they've got to make a living.

Never had an overdraft

Wouldn't want one.

Santander stick out for me now as being the worst of a bad bunch.

Everyone else now has signed up to 'faster payments' i.e. instant internet transfer. Apparently they have as well.

Santander not only frick me around with my mortgage (tied in for another 2 months) payments, but still take 3 days to process internet or even cash payments. It's illegal and they know it.

They are all out for themselves, obviously, but Santander are pure scum.

Any bank offering you the ability to talk to a local manager are the one to go with, and it shifts in different areas.

The thing is the days when you could have a good relationship with your bank manager are long gone. Many years ago my dad was in his bank, he was up to his limit on the overdraft and we we're going on holiday the following day, the manager happened to walk through and saw my dad talking to the girl on the desk. He said "Are you OK Frank?", my dad replied "not really we're going away tomorrow and I'm skint". The manager said to the girl"extend his overdraft by £200" he then said "have a good holiday Frank".

I was with the Yorkshire bank for 25 years and they were very good, but they were charging me around £15 a month for a business account that was always in credit (often a quite high balance)

So I switched to santander, I view them as a machine, there is no relationship, its just business, yes the cheques take time to clear, but I am charged nothing, they have given me a £5K overdraft at no cost and when I moved to them they gave me £100.

When I left The YB my business manager did ring me in person (which was nice) but he did not have the authority to give me free banking. He did ask me to give them a call when I wanted to finance any equipment, which I will do, as they have always been very competitive.

I run a business account and personal account with HSBC. Two main reasons, the first being it makes accounting easier and the second being people make cheques out to stephenson tree services and HSBC will not allow them into a personal account. I assume all the people running just a personal account have cheques paid to themselves personally as apposed to the company?

The HSBC small business account has no monthly fee however they do charge for cash transactions and £1 per cheque if you pay in more than 20 cheques a month

Money went through this morning. Santander don't allow first payment of a new transfer to go through "fast". 3 to 4 days for it. Nor do they appear to allow fast transfers to be more than £300. Just pants.

Personal banking is with HBOS and I'd rather not have all my eggs in one basket, but I'm not staying with Santander. I know what you mean about just using it as a machine, but this one's a bit unfit for purpose.