Best Bank?

Highland Forestry

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a business account and personal account with HSBC. Two main reasons, the first being it makes accounting easier and the second being people make cheques out to stephenson tree services and HSBC will not allow them into a personal account. I assume all the people running just a personal account have cheques paid to themselves personally as apposed to the company?

The HSBC small business account has no monthly fee however they do charge for cash transactions and £1 per cheque if you pay in more than 20 cheques a month

I used to have 3 personal accounts, 2 joint accounts, one for the business and one for the household and a sole account where I put my tax money.

The Yorkshire bank allowed me to pay in cheques in the Co name.

I do all my banking in one current account with a separate savings account that I try to keep topping up.

Im with Halifax, never had an issue, went overdrawn accidentally and as it wasn't arranged I was about to get charged. I phoned up and managed to get it reversed. That was about 2007 though and things have changed!

Is there any point in me opening a separate account to do my work related funds? I can't really see much point in it!

No, there doesn't seem to be much point if your a sole trader and not limited, particularly i suppose if your company name is your own name so the cheques are made out to your personal account.

Yeah all cheques made to my name. I'm just concerned if the bank would cotton on to it and investigate, don't suppose they would. I am registered self employed and turned over less than 8k since April, as I'm not even managing a 5k tax threshold wage, I don't pay tax on that yet!

abbey/santander do free business banking for life and i never had any problems, but not sure now they are santender and not abbey :)

im with santander, just started in business this year, i can pay in 30 cheques a month before they start to charge which is good cos most jobs are 2 days or more so wont get 30 cheques a month. well not yet anyway:thumbup:

im with santander, just started in business this year, i can pay in 30 cheques a month before they start to charge which is good cos most jobs are 2 days or more so wont get 30 cheques a month. well not yet anyway:thumbup:

Did they not give you two accounts??

When I moved to them, the business manager opened me two accounts in the business name, one current account and a savings account. That way you can pay in 60 cheques and £6k cash before charges. I can transfer funds from one account to the other on line.

It also means you can draw twice as much from the hole in the wall.