Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

5 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I don’t think the problem is politics, it’s politicians.

I’m pretty easy going on site, but I can’t think of many politicians who I could get through a day’s work with without physically assaulting them.

Nature of the beast, isn't it?  To be a successful politician you need to be a self-serving bastard to some extent.  Only exception I can think of was Mo Mowlam - she never said anything that angered me and actually managed to achieve something genuinely worthwhile.

I'd happily have Jacob Rees-Mogg feeding the chipper.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, onetruth said:

Nature of the beast, isn't it?  To be a successful politician you need to be a self-serving bastard to some extent.  Only exception I can think of was Mo Mowlam - she never said anything that angered me and actually managed to achieve something genuinely worthwhile.

I'd happily have Jacob Rees-Mogg feeding the chipper.

Don't be silly. Chippers haven't been invented yet in the time that he comes from.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, felixthelogchopper said:

Don't be silly. Chippers haven't been invented yet in the time that he comes from.

But he'd be better than the average Jo at Latin tree nomenclature....  :lol:

And....  It'd be hellish funny at lunch break...  Poached quails eggs sprinkled with Almas caviar on melba toast followed by paternoster chop and spotted dick for pud!  3 ½ hours to consume with an extensive wine list, Port wine and a brandy in a high backed club chair before a kip! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mull said:

What’s so great about bloody badgers?;-)

It's not so 'black and white' as to simply be about the badgers though Mull me ol' mucker....

It has more to do with the pernicious lobbying effect of the NFU (which, by the greatest of irony refers to itself as a 'union' - for farmers), the sitting government's subservience to the landed gentry - who continue to reap rich rewards from the subsidy policies that, surprise, the NFU so vociferously defend, the blatantly obvious scientific evidence which (a) pretty much discounts the relevance of badgers in comparison to intensive farming, muck spreading, transportation and sale of cattle and again, surprise, the running of fox hounds over contaminated land as the main causal effects of the growth and spread of bTB, and (b) the ignorance of the 'actual' workers of the land so long as they continue to receive the crumbs from the table, which all adds up to show that, rather than there being anything particularly 'great' about badgers (other than the marvel of God's great creation), but rather that the whole rationale for the badger cull represents much of what is sick, corrupt and misguided about government subservience to external lobbying influence....

But apart from that, and if you discount the negative impact upon nesting birds and hedgehogs - which could be mitigated by the re-introduction of higher predators which have been removed by the senseless over predation, largely for sporting pleasure or the 'protection' of farmed herds, then perhaps the ever decreasing circles of mankind's exploitation of the natural environment might just be recognised as the source of the problem rather than the solution....

Loike....

• Like 5