Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

13 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Do you genuinely think. Heroin, Crystal Meth, Fentanyl etc etc should be legal ?. 

Absolutely. Some people will always overdo things and aren't mentally stable, so there will always be those who go too far. But legalisation and education are proven to go a long way towards minimising the harm that drug use (including alcohol and smoking) cause to people and society. The money raised in taxes would be useful too.

My question to you which you didn't answer is:

Do you think all drugs should be banned?

You seem to give alcohol a free pass, it would be a class 'a' drug if it was a new drug.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 20:19, Johnsond said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The SS Richard Montgomery's explosive cargo has been lying on the Thames Estuary bed for...

A job and a half to sort this out. I’d say it’s literally impossible to put a price on what it would cost to get that to an ALARP  level that would satisfy all stakeholders and signed off. 

Could they not rig it , cover it in a million ton of sand,then set it off?

How viable is the cargo after 77 years in the sea?

• Like 2

Drugs, sugar, plastic bags, tobacco, alcohol, some dogs, vaping? are all put in the governments "Too hard to deal with it in this parliament, lets ban it" bucket. Take a longer term approach and education, good habits, social acceptance and so on you don't need to ban nearly as much. But... that means you have to fix the early years education system, the primary school years education system, the secondary education system to fit that in, provide or encourage alternatives, and then wait 20 or 30 years for those children to become adults, and then parents to pass all that on to the next generation and change society. So it goes into the too hard bucket, no political gain in a 30 year program to do good, ban it all.

So not sure a ban is a good thing, educate and let us work it out. As for drugs - I could support some sort of legalisation to remove them from criminality, but am not sure this would work - we have had years of no education just blanket "Zammo says don't", if they legalised a lot of drugs I could see the UK going on a massive bender for a couple of years.

The alternatives to tobacco and alcohol (that we would do instead) are not good sources of tax income - take away the 22 billion or so from Tobacco and Alcohol duty (plus a couple of billion on sugar taxes) and we are looking at 25 billion in fuel duties going when we all get electric cars.... I might also wonder if the chancellor is as keen as the prime ministers say they are to ban everything./

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

Absolutely. Some people will always overdo things and aren't mentally stable, so there will always be those who go too far. But legalisation and education are proven to go a long way towards minimising the harm that drug use (including alcohol and smoking) cause to people and society. The money raised in taxes would be useful too.

My question to you which you didn't answer is:

Do you think all drugs should be banned?

You seem to give alcohol a free pass, it would be a class 'a' drug if it was a new drug.

Yeah Mark  ban the lot for me and drop the dealers on the spot like the old Philippines guy did ( much to the applause of the Philippino deck crew on a boat I was on at the time) 

How on earth can an educated adult propose legalising the stuff you are talking about. As for Alcohol! What did I say 🤷‍♂️personally I don’t give a damn but to compare having a few beers or a glass of wine with smoking crack cocaine, come on Mark. It might have been a good idea at uni but Anarchy ain’t a viable alternative or solution. 

3 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Could they not rig it , cover it in a million ton of sand,then set it off?

How viable is the cargo after 77 years in the sea?

Very viable. Look at the regular incidents regarding fishermen and excavations etc throughout Western Europe, Germany in particular. Cover or contain the blast sounds good but can make things far worse. No doubt it will be left until it has to be done as the cost whatever happens is gonna be astronomical. 

2 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Well ok, this isn't scary, at all. 

It doesn't matter what is illegal or not, if one of these fckers pops up from the ground wearing a cop badge, you're gonna comply!

It would be better with machine guns.

22 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Yeah Mark  ban the lot for me and drop the dealers on the spot like the old Philippines guy did ( much to the applause of the Philippino deck crew on a boat I was on at the time) 

How on earth can an educated adult propose legalising the stuff you are talking about. As for Alcohol! What did I say 🤷‍♂️personally I don’t give a damn but to compare having a few beers or a glass of wine with smoking crack cocaine, come on Mark. It might have been a good idea at uni but Anarchy ain’t a viable alternative or solution.

Some people will have a few glasses of wine, some people will down a litre of vodka. It's down to the person in question, not the drug itself. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Some people will have a few glasses of wine, some people will down a litre of vodka. It's down to the person in question, not the drug itself. 

Ok mark, you are entitled to your opinion. Thankfully you are in a tiny minority on this one. 

Tobacco should be banned and absolutely everything else made legal. Why wreck your health for such a shitty return on investment. At least crack melts the world for a wee while, tobacco does eff all.