Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

50 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I’m taking that with a barrow full of salt, the Labour supporters I speak to, many of who lent their vote to Boris say they will be moving back over, not because they think Labour will do any better, but they believe it’s time for change. 

so more of the same but with a different face at the front. 🤷‍♂️

People are strange. 

53 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

Not all parties/Mp’s supported all measures at all times, they where simply ignored. It wasn’t just politicians to blame, the general public played a role too, having their vaccines and towing the line like good little boys, being complicit in the whole charade.

No shit !! you know my views on the last two years and the overwhelming majority of politicians and also individuals who supported it. 

18 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

so more of the same but with a different face at the front. 🤷‍♂️

People are strange. 

That seems to be the size of it, some think Starmer will set the new pace, most just seem to believe they have been betrayed. Politics here is a mile away from East Anglia. Intriguing to watch after being away for so long.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dan blocker said:

Firstly Europe are still trying to punish us for having the audacity to leave. They are putting every barrier that can to try and stop us being successful?

That’s a sound bite from The Daily mail right there.

Brexit has stumbled because the membership of the EU is a very complex arrangement to untangle. The British have been poor/slow in negotiations and there was never a plan in place in case the vote went Leave, Cameron simply didn’t believe it would go that way. 
The British demanded a Hard border, still haven’t sorted the problem with Northern Ireland and that’s nothing to do with EU demands.

So as an ‘English man living in England’ what benefits have you seen for the UK economy from Brexit? 
I don’t want Google’s links to Tory rags thanks, or blaming Covid, Ukraine or the EU like a 10 year old. 
Have you got any tangible benefits that you can think of, I haven’t?

And as an English man currently living in France, but an home owner with regular work in England, I have an interest in the Old Country, whatever that means?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5thelement said:

The British demanded a Hard border, still haven’t sorted the problem with Northern Ireland and that’s nothing to do with EU demands.

You are completely ass about face on that one.

The UK government has always said there'd be no hard border going back up in Ireland, yet the EU are the ones insisting that there needs to be stringent arrangements in place regarding trade over there.

The only ones who ever threatened to put checks in place between north and south were the EU!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

You are completely ass about face on that one.

The UK government has always said there'd be no hard border going back up in Ireland, yet the EU are the ones insisting that there needs to be stringent arrangements in place regarding trade over there.

The only ones who ever threatened to put checks in place between north and south were the EU!

What other option is there though? Given that the UK will not agree to regulatory alignment with the EU, having a soft border would effectively give a back door into the EU trading block. The UK has been trying to have it's cake and eat it, insofar as divorcing itself from any regulatory commitments but maintain full access.

It can't really work. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Big J said:

What other option is there though? Given that the UK will not agree to regulatory alignment with the EU, having a soft border would effectively give a back door into the EU trading block. The UK has been trying to have it's cake and eat it, insofar as divorcing itself from any regulatory commitments but maintain full access.

It can't really work. 

Yes, it's an issue for both sides to sort out.

But the EU have been exploiting it, and the RoI have been exploiting it, there is no doubt about that.

The Irish have been using it to stir the unification pot, and the EU are just using it to stir shit of any kind.

I've farming connections in the North and been following it a bit more closely than most because of that.

It's actually pretty shameful how the north is being abused by non-UK interests and how the UK itself is letting it happen.

Biased media coverage not helpful either as usual.

Edited by coppice cutter

18 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Yes, it's an issue for both sides to sort out.

But the EU have been exploiting it, and the RoI have been exploiting it, there is no doubt about that.

The Irish have been using it to stir the unification pot, and the EU are just using it to stir shit of any kind.

I've farming connections in the North and been following it a bit more closely than most because of that.

It's actually pretty shameful how the north is being abused by non-UK interests and how the UK itself is letting it happen.

Biased media coverage not helpful either as usual.

I wouldn't say that the North is being abused by non-UK interests. It feels very much to me that they are being thrown under the bus by the Tories.

In all honesty though, what did we expect would happen? The situation in Ireland is fragile, volatile and intractable. Pre-Brexit, the situation was a lot more stable. By the English and Welsh dragging the Northern Irish out of the EU, they'd inadvertently jeopardised the NI peace process and for no good reason.