Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I’m gonna make the cardinal error of not reading to the end before jumping in ½ cocked….

All we need now is BigJ bleating on about the sh1t state of our great nation (most likely because of Brexit (God bless our good fortune) or planning regs, or heaven forbid, rain) whilst simultaneously COMPLETELY IGNORING the equal strife that is occurring elsewhere (wholly unaffected by Brexit) but just as meaningful and real….

No fuel and a national strike in France but not a  saucisson Of news about this until some chummy phones in to LBC and tells us about it. 

2 hours ago, Sutton said:

I like BigJ's patter and would miss it. Having a position or taking a view gets re-inforced when contrasting degrees and opposites are put up.

It's like me pointing out it's raining all the time. It doesn't mean I don't like the sun 🤣

Nothing to stop us taking turns replying to his epistles by saying such things as "It's a good job you've emigrated then!"

It's nice to know that I'm loved! 😆

There isn't anything anyone can do about the weather of course. It is what it is. 

But the general state of the public finances, public services and housing market is something that's been festering for decades now and is leaving a huge number of people in an untenable situation. 

The government is bankrupt in all but name. Basic services are not being provided. Taxes are at an historically high level, but then so is public borrowing. And all against the backdrop of historically high house prices and soaring interest rates.

I have got no idea how to fix it. Truly. But after 12 years of Conservative rule, it seems like they've been presiding over a larger and larger fire whilst all the time trying to put it out with petrol. 

Of course other places have problems too. No where is perfect, and I include Sweden in that obviously. But it seems like the UK has more than it's far share of issues now. Not least an apparently learning-disabled PM.

31 minutes ago, Big J said:

It's nice to know that I'm loved! 😆

There isn't anything anyone can do about the weather of course. It is what it is. 

But the general state of the public finances, public services and housing market is something that's been festering for decades now and is leaving a huge number of people in an untenable situation. 

The government is bankrupt in all but name. Basic services are not being provided. Taxes are at an historically high level, but then so is public borrowing. And all against the backdrop of historically high house prices and soaring interest rates.

I have got no idea how to fix it. Truly. But after 12 years of Conservative rule, it seems like they've been presiding over a larger and larger fire whilst all the time trying to put it out with petrol. 

Of course other places have problems too. No where is perfect, and I include Sweden in that obviously. But it seems like the UK has more than it's far share of issues now. Not least an apparently learning-disabled PM.

Couple of blatantly simple things for me J currently in the UK there are far too many riding on the wagon rather than pushing or pulling it, regards brexit which I know is one of your pet hates along with the Tories, well let’s be brutally honest and admit the unregulated mass immigration allowed by the previous administration certainly lit the fire that became brexit. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Couple of blatantly simple things for me J currently in the UK there are far too many riding on the wagon rather than pushing or pulling it, regards brexit which I know is one of your pet hates along with the Tories, well let’s be brutally honest and admit the unregulated mass immigration allowed by the previous administration certainly lit the fire that became brexit. 

I can agree with you (to an extent) about freeloaders, but immigration into the UK has increased since Brexit. The only difference is that it's more 'brown' people (non-EU) and British nationals can't easily leave.

11 minutes ago, Big J said:

I can agree with you (to an extent) about freeloaders, but immigration into the UK has increased since Brexit. The only difference is that it's more 'brown' people (non-EU) and British nationals can't easily leave.

I look back at the situation pre the covid farce vs where we are now and just wonder if things are fixable quite frankly.  Be it by the Tories or Labour or whatever coalition ends up in power, worse again up here with the SNP/Green incompetents banging the independence drum. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

I look back at the situation pre the covid farce vs where we are now and just wonder if things are fixable quite frankly.  Be it by the Tories or Labour or whatever coalition ends up in power, worse again up here with the SNP/Green incompetents banging the independence drum. 

This is my point really. It's not that I'm driving to say that the UK or it's inhabitants are inherently bad, rather that the public and private sector have been so badly managed in the past decades that the situation the UK presently finds itself in is possibility unfixable. A poison chalice for whomever takes over after Truss is given the boot.

We're out of covid now, and yet the Exchequer still borrowed £11.8 billion in August. Almost £145 billion in the year up to the end of March (£2130 per man, woman and child in the UK). 

The UK national debt is now  £2,365 billion (almost £35k for every man woman and child). With no hope in the short to medium term of even balancing the budget, how can this ever be tackled? £8.2 billion a month just in interest payments. 

With this foundation of insolvency, what can any prospective PM offer other than savage cuts, tax rises and austerity, if the public finances are ever to function? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Big J said:

This is my point really. It's not that I'm driving to say that the UK or it's inhabitants are inherently bad, rather that the public and private sector have been so badly managed in the past decades that the situation the UK presently finds itself in is possibility unfixable. A poison chalice for whomever takes over after Truss is given the boot.

We're out of covid now, and yet the Exchequer still borrowed £11.8 billion in August. Almost £145 billion in the year up to the end of March (£2130 per man, woman and child in the UK). 

The UK national debt is now  £2,365 billion (almost £35k for every man woman and child). With no hope in the short to medium term of even balancing the budget, how can this ever be tackled? £8.2 billion a month just in interest payments. 

With this foundation of insolvency, what can any prospective PM offer other than savage cuts, tax rises and austerity, if the public finances are ever to function? 

Yet the current opposition wanted restrictions and furlough etc to go on for longer and fought at every opportunity to achieve that. I tend to agree J that it’s not fixable. Was that the end game !!. 

Im in Glasgow for a gig at min and the state of the place and amount of beggars is absolutely shocking, politicians of all parties have failed this country massively  for years now. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Yet the current opposition wanted restrictions and furlough etc to go on for longer and fought at every opportunity to achieve that. I tend to agree J that it’s not fixable. Was that the end game 🤷‍♂️

All roads seem to lead to the same destination of the UK being stuffed. I've no idea what the solution is. It's frightening really.

APPLE.NEWS

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has has confirmed a major overhaul of Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng's...

Payback time for the covid madness by the looks of it. . The money tree that everyone got used to has it would seem got nothing left. Great if you had a good run off it, pretty damn unfair if you got zero during that period of temporary insanity and are now gonna be helping to pay for it. 

• Like 4