Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

On a separate note, Eustace taking on the Environment brief is like giving Gary Glitter & Jimmy Saville the keys to the kindergarten.....?

How so?

As he's from a farming background and has experience of that ministry and isn't an infantilised urban ecomentalist who thinks the countryside should be a Farthing Wood theme park, I'm cautiously optimistic about his appointment. For what reasons should I not be?

Far more worrying is that London Greta-groupie Zac Goldsmith remains head of Defra. It's hard to think of anyone who knows less about the environment, food production or rural affairs of any description. 

Edited by Gimlet

55 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

How so?

Abuse does not preclude proper use  

As he's from a farming background

Im just guessing here..... Like yourself?

and has experience of that ministry and isn't an infantilised urban ecomentalist who thinks the countryside should be a Farthing Wood theme park, I'm cautiously optmistic

How utterly lame, boring and small minded is the oft trotted out mantra that “unless yome 8th generation farmer your opinion is worthless.” 

It’d be like suggesting the entire, combined brain power of academia is dwarfed by the superior, objective analysis and brilliance of window licker....

Not a naturally ‘likeable’ man, I was cautiously optimistic with Gove. 

Useless Eustace, as he’s affectionately  known in his constituency, will be a puppet of the NFU and that has no foreseeable environmental advantage so far as I can see....

25 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Im just guessing here..... Like yourself?

You guess wrong. I'm not a farmer and I carry no torch for the industry. 

25 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

How utterly lame, boring and small minded is the oft trotted out mantra that “unless yome 8th generation farmer your opinion is worthless.” 

I didn't say any such thing. 

You may have wanted me to say it, in the pursuit of confirmation bias, but I didn't. You did.

Edited by Gimlet

8 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

You guess wrong. I'm not a farmer and I carry no torch for the industry. 

I didn't say any such thing. 

You may have wanted me to say it, in the pursuit of confirmation bias, but I didn't. You did.

It was just a guess. No offence intended. 

I didn’t say you did. I certainly didn’t want you to. 

Don’t confuse confirmation bias with an objective opinion. The 2 are distinctly different. 

What was the theme park reference you used again? ?

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

The theme park mentality is evident everywhere you look with the anthropomorphising of animals, a woeful ignorance of the native species of these islands, both fauna and flora, and the idea that nature is a sideshow for human entertainment and the countryside a public playground, a place to use, abuse and consume rather than curate as custodians.

TPM is a reality. We live amongst it. It's in government, the media, represented in every newspaper letters page, and it saturates social media. When you live and work in the countryside, you don't have to go looking for it. It slaps you in the face every day. I was merely anxious to ascertain that another subscriber to baby-think had not been appointed to the cabinet. 

My cautious optimism was that, early indications were that in Eustace (regardless of his ministerial proficiency) it had not. I hope I am proved right. A useless minister who means no harm would be far less destructive than a gifted vandal.

4 hours ago, lux said:

Noncery - good word. I shall add that to my vocabulary.
Sounds like it could of come from the Viz profanisaurus for those that remember Viz...

A mate of mine gave me the updated edition, entitled 'War and Piss', for Christmas. I think that Neptune's Kiss is my favourite to date: image.thumb.png.db22401ec9e22d89e2f35103035e8d4e.png

A mate of mine gave me the updated edition, entitled 'War and Piss', for Christmas. I think that Neptune's Kiss is my favourite to date: image.thumb.png.db22401ec9e22d89e2f35103035e8d4e.png

A good book for the crapper. I don’t think my missus will find it quite so funny if I leave a copy there though [emoji23]