Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

46 minutes ago, Mark J said:
WWW.THEDAILYMASH.CO.UK

THE Conservatives’ new net zero targets are a huge hit with these people who do not exist but should:

I’m one of the real people who are happy Mark, the proposed oil boiler ban for 2026 in particular was gonna be a pain. Try the carrot rather than the stick. Ban ban ban seems to be the way of things nowadays. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:
WWW.THEDAILYMASH.CO.UK

THE Conservatives’ new net zero targets are a huge hit with these people who do not exist but should:

I think it’s brilliant tbh. Not sure I know anybody who doesn’t agree with it actually. 

• Like 4

To be fair I tend to agree with some of what he said - there was a bit on question time questioning some of his announcement (7 wheelie bins...),

The boiler thing tend to agree with that. Suggesting we change a boiler for a heat pump won't work for older houses, new builds probably though. Should be used in addition to a boiler to keep a house warm rather than heat it up (needs a different mind set that the heat pumps run all the time, boiler is on / off).

Electric cars - too soon for a mass changeover, I don't think the country can install the infrastructure needed in time and solve problems such as how do you charge a car at home if you park on the street and not trip up every pedestrian with a trailing wire. and a massive infrastructure upgrade to send renewable electricity from generation to the cities. Not sure if 2035 will be soon enough either to get it all working in the background... but sooner is better than later

Then he went a bit mad about 7 wheelie bins and meat

North Sea OIl, I reckon we should keep on as we are doing for a while until we can generate our electricity from other means - wind energy for example is cheaper which was his last point and also good to allow more onshore wind generation.. but as above, need to get the wind energy from windy places to the cities.

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

To be fair I tend to agree with some of what he said - there was a bit on question time questioning some of his announcement (7 wheelie bins...),

The boiler thing tend to agree with that. Suggesting we change a boiler for a heat pump won't work for older houses, new builds probably though. Should be used in addition to a boiler to keep a house warm rather than heat it up (needs a different mind set that the heat pumps run all the time, boiler is on / off).

Electric cars - too soon for a mass changeover, I don't think the country can install the infrastructure needed in time and solve problems such as how do you charge a car at home if you park on the street and not trip up every pedestrian with a trailing wire. and a massive infrastructure upgrade to send renewable electricity from generation to the cities. Not sure if 2035 will be soon enough either to get it all working in the background... but sooner is better than later

Then he went a bit mad about 7 wheelie bins and meat

North Sea OIl, I reckon we should keep on as we are doing for a while until we can generate our electricity from other means - wind energy for example is cheaper which was his last point and also good to allow more onshore wind generation.. but as above, need to get the wind energy from windy places to the cities.

Onshore wind generation is generally an absolute eyesore, if and it’s a big white elephant if as far as I’m concerned we do end up pursuing this highly profitable but massively flawed ( for mainly overseas companies) policy then build them out at sea over the horizon. Nuclear is the blatantly obvious no brainer solution. 

This chart:

Onshore wind is the cheapest electricity generation.

Nuclear figures doesn't usually account for reprocessing the spent fuel.

Windfarms might be an eyesore to some but would you prefer a nuclear power station in your town.. and thinking of where we put them, nuclear power plants in the UK take about 20+ years from agreement to build one through buying the land, planning, construction and so on, a wind farm about 5. The UK and Europe has the technology for wind farms... nuclear it is China selling their expertise at say, Hinkley (the UKs new nuclear power station)

20+ years and we will be running short of electricity by then, the world will also have half the oil resources left as it does now (I think it is about 40 years oil supply.... at todays rate of use.. which doesn't account for Africa, India and China (outside the cities) joining the modern world where electricity is king, and oil to make it will be sold to the highest bidder)

.. and our children and grandchildren will have about 5 years to solve the problems of electricity generation, supply and cost unless we give them a head start now and start making it in a sustainable way so we can power the world for the next 100 years.

As I said above he is delaying the changes necessary because the governments have not invested in infrastructure to allow these changes to happen now.

image.png.87da06b9a139585969638a73e2240ab4.png

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

This chart:

Onshore wind is the cheapest electricity generation.

Nuclear figures doesn't usually account for reprocessing the spent fuel.

Windfarms might be an eyesore to some but would you prefer a nuclear power station in your town.. and thinking of where we put them, nuclear power plants in the UK take about 20+ years from agreement to build one through buying the land, planning, construction and so on, a wind farm about 5. The UK and Europe has the technology for wind farms... nuclear it is China selling their expertise at say, Hinkley (the UKs new nuclear power station)

20+ years and we will be running short of electricity by then, the world will also have half the oil resources left as it does now (I think it is about 40 years oil supply.... at todays rate of use.. which doesn't account for Africa, India and China (outside the cities) joining the modern world where electricity is king, and oil to make it will be sold to the highest bidder)

.. and our children and grandchildren will have about 5 years to solve the problems of electricity generation, supply and cost unless we give them a head start now and start making it in a sustainable way so we can power the world for the next 100 years.

As I said above he is delaying the changes necessary because the governments have not invested in infrastructure to allow these changes to happen now.

image.png.87da06b9a139585969638a73e2240ab4.png

That’s your interpretation nothing more. China is the one with nuclear tech is it ???? , the out put of 1 nuclear plant can match how many turbines????? and doesn’t stop producing if the wind doesn’t blow. I’ve worked within oil and gas, wind farms and at Hinckley doing uxo work, you seem to have an opinion on all of these !! Can you elaborate on your first hand experience there’s no reason why we can’t expedite the nuclear build process. It didn’t help that for years the same fools that cry about climate change campaigned relentlessly against nuclear. I’m well aware of the capacity of the low level waste facility at Drigg, Sellafield, it’s something that can be managed. We won’t agree on any of this or your expert analysis of oil reserves but literally hog tying ourselves to insane targets whilst others adopt a more pragmatic approach is just madness. 
PS talking of China and there apparently vast nuclear knowledge amongst others you do realise where much of the wind energy infrastructure is manufactured don’t you !! 

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The 500 tonne steel structure is due to be delivered to the Bridgwater site at some point...

Le reactor Chinese 

WWW.ROLLS-ROYCE.COM

Rolls-Royce SMR LTD was established to develop an affordable power plant that...

🤷‍♂️How do you think Nuclear subs are bimbling around for months on end underwater??

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

Of course, I forget your monopoly on working. Working on Daily Mail Rage Bingo, this weekend it must be green energy weekend I guess.

None of the links below are my opinions but peer reviewed articles. In the short to medium term nuclear power is not viable, oil and fossil fuels not sustainable. Only other options are renewable or turning the lights off.

Hinkley C, a joint venture EDF (Electricity De France) and General Nuclear Corporation (China). British involvement... digging holes and pouring concrete.

Rolls Royce small and medium reactors are a few years away from being licensed, and to speed that up are requiring about a billion in investment.. which the UK government declined to invest in. They are looking at 2050 to have an established market.

Oil reserves are not my assessment, 60 years, I was wrong when I said 40 above.