Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

33 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

I remember the “Devil dog”

front page from many years ago regarding Rottweilers, we had a Rottweiler bitch at the time, the most intelligent, kind and protective to my kids dog I’ve ever owned, my mother over the years has had a series of Jack Russels which have been nippy aggressive little shits without exception. I think correct enforcement of current legislation and dog licenses would go a long way to improving things. 

Some Rottweilers can be proper bastards though. A long time ago before i got into tree surgery I worked for a fruit and veg wholesaler. One of the farms I used to stop at once a week had 2 rotties. 1 was on a very long piece of rope but more or less free roaming. The other was kept around the corner..I never did get to see that one. 

I was made to stay in the van when i first went there, probably for the first 5 or 6 visits, till I was slowly introduced to the dog. Fritz was his name, and eventually he became quite excited to see me.

However I was told in no uncertain terms to 'never go round there' where the other dog lived.

9 minutes ago, peds said:

Stop the type of person who wants a dog as a weapon from having any kind of dog, don't just say they can't have a certain kind of dog. Otherwise you'll just get a weaponised spaniel, or a terrier, or a collie.

Remove such bellends from the equation and the market for that kind of dog goes down anyway.

And how on earth would you do that? How do you know if someone is responsible enough to own xxx type of dog?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

And how on earth would you do that? How do you know if someone is responsible enough to own xxx type of dog?

Exactly

Missus follows some woman on Facebook who is posting the journey they are currently on with their daughter who was mauled by the family dog. Not sure if it was an XL bully, but was certainly a similar breed. What what I can tell they appear to be a very normal family. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

I mean that's fairly easy to be honest, because in an ideal world my general conditions for dog ownership would be pretty strict and preclude about 80% of any dog owners today from having one. I think the huge majority of people are incapable and unwilling to provide the minimum standards to provide for a dog,  in particular those who are absent from their dog's life for most of its life, while at work. Dogs are social creatures and should be in constant company. If you can't provide that, you shouldn't have a dog.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, peds said:

I mean that's fairly easy to be honest, because in an ideal world my general conditions for dog ownership would be pretty strict and preclude about 80% of any dog owners today from having one. I think the huge majority of people are incapable and unwilling to provide the minimum standards to provide for a dog,  in particular those who are absent from their dog's life for most of its life, while at work. Dogs are social creatures and should be in constant company. If you can't provide that, you shouldn't have a dog.

Go on then, what do you do to  stop the wrong person owning the wrong type of dog?

12 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Some Rottweilers can be proper bastards though. A long time ago before i got into tree surgery I worked for a fruit and veg wholesaler. One of the farms I used to stop at once a week had 2 rotties. 1 was on a very long piece of rope but more or less free roaming. The other was kept around the corner..I never did get to see that one. 

I was made to stay in the van when i first went there, probably for the first 5 or 6 visits, till I was slowly introduced to the dog. Fritz was his name, and eventually he became quite excited to see me.

However I was told in no uncertain terms to 'never go round there' where the other dog lived.

We’ve got a Beagle amongst others  nowadays Steve, thst thing is a total shitbag and will front up to you big time, I was bit on the thigh by a Labrador at an NCB weighbridge years ago, I’d been on and off that same weighbridge and seen the dog for years 🤷‍♂️so I guess they all can be bastards at times. Maybe the mrs is right when she says cats are where it’s at. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Silly boy, there never was a 2nd dog🙄

• Haha 3

Years ago, we had a few trips into a local scrap dealer. Two Rotties, one tethered, one free roaming. The free roaming one was nearly the size of a donkey! It's first trick when you arrived was to sit on your feet, and demand attention. The love its owner had for it was very evident, it was a beautiful animal, and well cared for. My Father remarked to the owner that it was sadly lacking as a guard dog. The owner suggested that he come back after five o'clock when the yard was shut! 😂  

• Like 3