Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, Stere said:
WWW.AA.COM.TR

-First 180 of planned 1,000 tanks will be supplied from South Korea, defense minister announces - Anadolu Agency

Thats alot of new tanks.

So much for the talk of tanks becoming obsolete or at least less important due to UAV's etc?

So Poland will have the biggest tank army in Europe.

Our own track record of reducing the armed forces over the past 30 years is tantamount to criminal incompetence and neglect. 

450A7EF1-7984-4CF0-81FE-15BC19F51007.png

• Like 1

The Oscars.

Now I'm a massive sci-fi fan. I'll watch almost anything so long as it's based on a good idea, even if the execution is poor.

Everything, Everywhere, all at Once is a film I watched last year. It was OK. The idea was OK, the execution was OK. I considered myself moderately entertained. I can think of about 50 sci-fi films that were better. 

Without wishing to devolve the conversation into aspersions of forced inclusivity, is there any rational explanation for it cleaning up at the Oscars? I just cannot understand it. 

Just now, Big J said:

The Oscars.

Now I'm a massive sci-fi fan. I'll watch almost anything so long as it's based on a good idea, even if the execution is poor.

Everything, Everywhere, all at Once is a film I watched last year. It was OK. The idea was OK, the execution was OK. I considered myself moderately entertained. I can think of about 50 sci-fi films that were better. 

Without wishing to devolve the conversation into aspersions of forced inclusivity, is there any rational explanation for it cleaning up at the Oscars? I just cannot understand it. 

I haven’t seen any of the films, but I see where you’re coming from.
Giving awards for ‘art’ is always going to be subjective and liable to abuse.

Paddington 2 and Hugh Grant didn’t get Oscars which was a scandal imo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Call me a cynic but the BAFTAs seem to favour 'British' films whilst the Oscars are usually skewed towards the US.  I completely understand where Big J is coming from, but guess that if (for example) a film is considered to be the 'Best Picture' then I guess it could be argued that it also must be up there with the screenplay etc.

I haven't looked at this year's results in any detail other than the headlines, but did enjoy Hugh Grant comparing his face to a scrotum.

12 minutes ago, waterbuoy said:

Call me a cynic but the BAFTAs seem to favour 'British' films whilst the Oscars are usually skewed towards the US.  I completely understand where Big J is coming from, but guess that if (for example) a film is considered to be the 'Best Picture' then I guess it could be argued that it also must be up there with the screenplay etc.

I haven't looked at this year's results in any detail other than the headlines, but did enjoy Hugh Grant comparing his face to a scrotum.

You know what BAFTAS stands for right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Big J said:

The Oscars.

J I think you are being overly generous, myself and a few lads watched that movie a fee months ago on a weather day, whilst none of us will ever end up as film critics I think to a man it was generally considered to be dire. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

J I think you are being overly generous, myself and a few lads watched that movie a fee months ago on a weather day, whilst none of us will ever end up as film critics I think to a man it was generally considered to be dire. 

Aye, but you see, I'm a sci-fi lover. Being of that persuasion means I respect the ambition, even if most of the rest of it was forgettable.

3 hours ago, Big J said:

The Oscars.

Fancy yourself as a bit of a Buck Rogers do you jonathan 

Twiki03.webp.49fbfb77b62ed8813f85463269e6c401.webp

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Big J said:

Aye, but you see, I'm a sci-fi lover. Being of that persuasion means I respect the ambition, even if most of the rest of it was forgettable.

I’m big into reading Sci-fi, in fact I’m on the third instalment of Adrian Tchaikovskys Children series right now. Amazing books.

Obviously I love Sci-fi movies as well. Never knew the Everything movie was one although I’ll not be rushing to watch it. 😁

Watched Dune again last night. I really hope they make the second one. 

• Like 1