Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

16 hours ago, Mull said:

He did. He’s a prick who spends his arbtalk time trying to pretend he’s not a prick.

APPLE.NEWS

If the Bank Rate hits 4.5pc as expected, bills will jump by 50pc

It was in the context of people making light of the situation of those families who find themselves in the situation described within this article and many like it. Try and read it before you hit the bottle again, although admittedly  it’s a weekend so I don’t hold out much hope of that. 

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:
APPLE.NEWS

If the Bank Rate hits 4.5pc as expected, bills will jump by 50pc

It was in the context of people making light of the situation of those families who find themselves in the situation described within this article and many like it. Try and read it before you hit the bottle again, although admittedly  it’s a weekend so I don’t hold out much hope of that. 

Nobody is making light of a situation. Maybe read what's written rather than looking for something to be offended by. Just because I've upset you in other threads, it's a bit daft just to disagree with me on others, just to have another go at 'winning' an argument. 

You aren't fooling anyone. I mentioned my hourly rate on a thread about income versus energy costs, and in the context of the thread it was relevant. I even admitted it was a bit of a boast. You write that you don't want to do the same, but mention what you do for a living, and give guidance for us to look up what you earn, that's just bloody embarrassing. 

There are very good economic reasons for interest rates to drag themselves up out of the gutter; I'd guess you probably know that. Not so easy to be offended on behalf of others if we have a proper conversation about the economics of the situation though is it. 

I shall let you have the last word, and look forward to you trying to have a dig on another thread at the next opportunity. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Nobody is making light of a situation. Maybe read what's written rather than looking for something to be offended by. Just because I've upset you in other threads, it's a bit daft just to disagree with me on others, just to have another go at 'winning' an argument. 

You aren't fooling anyone. I mentioned my hourly rate on a thread about income versus energy costs, and in the context of the thread it was relevant. I even admitted it was a bit of a boast. You write that you don't want to do the same, but mention what you do for a living, and give guidance for us to look up what you earn, that's just bloody embarrassing. 

There are very good economic reasons for interest rates to drag themselves up out of the gutter; I'd guess you probably know that. Not so easy to be offended on behalf of others if we have a proper conversation about the economics of the situation though is it. 

I shall let you have the last word, and look forward to you trying to have a dig on another thread at the next opportunity. 

I think you may be guilty of holding  the words you write  in posts in too high a regard, Not interested in winning any arguments or in reality give a shit about what you earn, I never commented on your boasting first time  round or indeed was upset by it, as like I say you or your earnings mean absolutely nothing to me. As for my mentioning what I do that’s common knowledge to those whom know me on here 🤷‍♂️. I could easily talk about day rates but never have in the years I’ve been posting, I was always taught growing up not to be boastful or brag etc but 🤷‍♂️ we are all different. The point was show a bit of humility, not everyone is lucky enough to be in a position to welcome the interest rate hikes as you evidently do. Your “ I’ll let you have the last word statement” is utterly childish behaviour which seems to not fit in at all well with your self proclaimed extremely rare  set of skills, ill take it that along with boastfulness is another part of your character make up. 

5 hours ago, Johnsond said:

I think you may be guilty of holding  the words you write  in posts in too high a regard, Not interested in winning any arguments or in reality give a shit about what you earn, I never commented on your boasting first time  round or indeed was upset by it, as like I say you or your earnings mean absolutely nothing to me. As for my mentioning what I do that’s common knowledge to those whom know me on here 🤷‍♂️. I could easily talk about day rates but never have in the years I’ve been posting, I was always taught growing up not to be boastful or brag etc but 🤷‍♂️ we are all different. The point was show a bit of humility, not everyone is lucky enough to be in a position to welcome the interest rate hikes as you evidently do. Your “ I’ll let you have the last word statement” is utterly childish behaviour which seems to not fit in at all well with your self proclaimed extremely rare  set of skills, ill take it that along with boastfulness is another part of your character make up. 

🤣. I’m a great guy and sadly you’re not😆

this has to be one of the funniest posts I’ve read on here. You’re fond of yourself, I’ll give you that!

11 hours ago, Mull said:

🤣. I’m a great guy and sadly you’re not😆

this has to be one of the funniest posts I’ve read on here. You’re fond of yourself, I’ll give you that!

You are like clockwork Mull, another late night alcohol inspired belter, I’ll say one thing and that is your consistent either that or too shy to post sober. Im pleased you had a laugh bud, mind you what’s amusing when your pissed probably isn’t that funny at all the morning after. 
Talking about great guys etc, I’m over in Oban and Lochmaddy in next few months doing some work for CalMac, if your near any of the ferry terminals and dive ops are being carried out you should pop over for a coffee eh👍always good to meet up face to face with a forum user, rather than this billy big bollocks midnight  keyboard shite. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Haha 1

How do we explain Mr Kwarteng’s mega-mini-budget? Why do something so obviously “up yours” to the working people of Britain as eliminating the top rate of tax for earners above £150,000, while sanctioning part-time, low-paid workers?
Either he’s trying to fulfil Ms Truss’s ambition to be unpopular. Or he’s playing Santa Claus and delivering the Tory donors’ wish list. He’s succeeding in both.
The Tory backbenchers weren’t happy. The people of Blyth Valley weren’t dancing in the streets. Red Wall MPs will be thinking about their impending career changes.
The pound crashed – which will spike inflation. Interest rates will rise, along with mortgages and rents.
They have no mandate for this. 0.2% of the electorate voted for these policies – the 81,316 Tory members in the leadership race. Tory MPs were elected on a manifesto of levelling-up, not trickling down.
The theory of trickle-down is simple. Sometimes called supply-side economics, it claims that if rich people get a tax cut, they’ll invest all their extra money and create loads of jobs, the economy will grow, tax receipts will increase, and unicorns and bunny rabbits will frolic in sunlit uplands.
It doesn’t work. It never has. American supply-side politicians would say, “a rising tide lifts all boats”. The truth is, unless you can’t afford a yacht, a rising tide will drown you.
The International Monetary Fund, the champion of capitalist orthodoxy, said unambiguously, “when the rich get richer, benefits do not trickle down”. Research published in 2020 by the LSE, based on data from eighteen OECD countries including the UK, was even more damning. Tax cuts for the rich since the 1980s have increased income inequality without any gains in economic performance.
You’ve probably seen various budget calculators – where you put in your earnings and it tells you how much better or worse off you are. But they only tell half the story. Take the energy price-cap. With an average sized bill, you’ll be paying £2500 direct to the energy company. But you’ll also be paying another £2500 to the energy company via the Government. That’s still your money. That £2500 will inevitably be cut from your health service, your kids’ education, your parents social care, your police and fire services. If you work anywhere in the public sector, they’ll try to take it out of your wages. It should come from a windfall tax.
Economic prosperity has to be sustainable. At its simplest, growth is just more money changing hands. It doesn’t have to mean consumption of more material goods, or people buying bigger cars. We could spend more on health and education and youth services. More on retrofitting homes. More on better public transport. And enough to get to 100% clean energy production by building offshore wind farms and clean hydrogen production.
We could invest in public luxury. Libraries with modern computer suites. Publicly owned gardens and swimming pools and exercise classes. More live music and theatre and comedy.
Every business leader I talk to tells me the same thing. Growth stalls without skilled workers.
At the North of Tyne we’ve created a jobs pipeline of 4,635 jobs – over and above those from organic growth. We do it by working closely with businesses. Skills bootcamps that give both those in and out of work the training they need for a good green job.
We have skills programmes supporting people with neurodiversity. People who’ve struggled with drug and alcohol dependency. Carers who are returning to the labour market after years out. And we link it with our child poverty prevention work. Because getting someone a stable, fairly paid job on trade union terms and conditions is one of the best things you can do for them.
And if you want to get more part-time workers working more hours, improve the care system. Child care is so expensive, and in many places so limited, that parents and carers can’t fit into normal working patterns.
It’s not the cap on bankers’ bonuses holding us back. City high-flyers on telephone number salaries are already in receipt of bonuses at a record high - £5.9 billion paid out in March alone. What we need is free life-long education and affordable childcare.
*Originally printed in the Journal and Evening Chronicle 25 Sept 2022

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Johnsond said:

You are like clockwork Mull, another late night alcohol inspired belter, I’ll say one thing and that is your consistent either that or too shy to post sober. Im pleased you had a laugh bud, mind you what’s amusing when your pissed probably isn’t that funny at all the morning after. 
Talking about great guys etc, I’m over in Oban and Lochmaddy in next few months doing some work for CalMac, if your near any of the ferry terminals and dive ops are being carried out you should pop over for a coffee eh👍always good to meet up face to face with a forum user, rather than this billy big bollocks midnight  keyboard shite. 

Do you ever work in Aberdeen?