Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

And there was me thinking that it would have an emergency/homing beacon and that they could send an unmanned drone sub down to locate it! 

It sounds like they have a very slim chance of finding it never mind trying to recover it.

I hope they can like. 

8 hours ago, Johnsond said:

the skill levels on some of these ROV pilots in particular in the use of the manipulators is awesome.

Im often amazed at the skills these guys have watching them getting pulled around in the currents when Im on sub-sea jobs and we're needing them to open and close valves. Its very much like watching a sci-fi movie, till a fat Ling comes into view. :D 

• Like 1

I read this morning that a spotter aircraft with a listening device has hear 30 minute interval knocking noises. Could well be them.

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

A Canadian Aircraft, part of the enormous search mission looking for the missing Titanic tourists, heard 'banging' at 30-minute intervals in the area the submarine disappeared.

Edited by trigger_andy

WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

Dame Sally Davies said she had seen 'the damage' lockdowns had done to children - and that wass...

The insanely expensive Covid inquiry is not throwing up any real revelations but the fact is that the remarks of the former CMO on the damaging effects of Lockdowns were utterly predictable. I commented a long time back at watching my then 12 year old daughter In tears stuck at home during this period of absolute madness. 

• Like 3

@Johnsond and @trigger_andy, this sub thing.

If they do find it right now, and send down a ROV, which attaches a cable of some description and successfully tows it, how quickly can they bring it up?

Can they just go full chat, surface it, undo the bolts and the world cheers?

Or do they have to decompress etc.?

They have no time.

A pal of a mate back home was a rig diver, and I remember him saying the worst part of the job was spending days in a diving bell after a shift.

28 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

If they do find it right now, and send down a ROV, which attaches a cable of some description and successfully tows it, how quickly can they bring it up?

They have no time.

A pal of a mate back home was a rig diver, and I remember him saying the worst part of the job was spending days in a diving bell after a shift.

This is well and truly Dave’s domain. As far as I’m aware saturation diving means the divers are out in the water breathing a mix of gases that allow them to dive deep (relative), but they’re in the actual water and not in a pressurised hull. When these Divers come back to surface they have to do so at a controlled assent to allow the deep diving gas mix to dissipate from their blood stream or they get the Bends, which is the bubbles of gas (nitrogen? Helium? I dunno?) in their blood expanding rapidly and rupturing everything to feck. I think they come up in the Bell to a certain safe depth and wait to allow the gasses to dissipate they continue upwards. I assume the decompression chamber is for the deepest of Dives? Again, Dave will fill us in. 

Dave will no doubt remember the Decompression Chamber incident on the Norwegian Continental Shelf that was opened accidentally on Surface. 😳 Google it and you’ll get the report with all the pictures, it’s not pretty. 

Since the folk in the Sub have gone down in a pressurised vessel they’ll be (I assume) breathing regular air and can they ascend at a fair clip and not need a Decompression Chamber.  I can’t imagine these guys wanting to spend a further two weeks rubbing shoulders with each other in another tin can after they’ve took their holiday snaps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

They have no time.

52 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

They have no time.

The guys in the submersible are in or were at 1 atmosphere pressure ie the same as what we are now on the surface. So if they do find them and can secure lifting eqpt to it then yeah they will be able to just pull them up with no deco issues. If it has leaked then I’d say the results would be catastrophic, a leak at that depth would be like an HP water jet coming in with 380bar of pressure. You’d soon reach the point where the normal air is toxic, so I’d say any decompression issues would be the least of their concerns, air is only used as a rule up to 50msw commercially. saturation divers breathing a helium/oxygen mix working at say 120msw will go down in a bell and when at depth lock out do a shift then come back up to vessel and lock into the system which might be at 90msw ( referred to as storage depth) the accommodation chambers are built into the vessel and the bell is just a taxi to work. All deco from depth is done in a controlled manner on the boat. Bit of a lengthy and involved topic Mark, but the Byford Dolphin incident Andy mentioned is grim reading as is the Widrake lost bell incident. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have only been down to depths of 60 or 70 feet at the most and always checked my contents gauge to allow enough to come up but not faster than my exhaust bubbles . That is about the extent of my experience . There is no way I would have gone down to figgin 2 miles even in a pressurized purpose built vessel . I can't get my head around the apparent lack of contingency plans . Surely they could have incorporated some kind of electronic  location beacon to at least narrow it down some what .  It seems they have had to resort to banging on something metallic to give a signal . If there is a God now is the time mate .

• Like 2