Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

11 hours ago, Commando said:

I struggle to understand the hunting ban (beyond the misconception of it being the sport of the upper classes, and the extremely poor PR campaign by both hunts and the CA).
In my experience and opinion it has certainly done little for the welfare of foxes. I have seen far more mangy malnourished foxes about,

There "were" some advantages to be had from running a fox - the weak, ill, old and infirm were caught by the hounds and torn to shreds for entertainment (touch of sarcasm in the last bit....:listen:) whereas the fit, strong, healthy, young stood at least some chance of evading capture and the result of the chase was to dislocate them into a new area which broadened the breeding pool...  But apart from that, there's little credible justification for the "sport" other than it is just that.  If over population is a consequence of the (supposed) ban, then the logical solution would be a cull by shooting - no problem with that.  There's just no credibility in suggesting hunting is an effective means of population control and that duplicity is as obvious as any could be - maybe that's why the publicity campaigns of the pro-hunt organisations are so abysmal, you just can't sell a plum! :ph34r:       

• Like 3

There "were" some advantages to be had from running a fox - the weak, ill, old and infirm were caught by the hounds and torn to shreds for entertainment (touch of sarcasm in the last bit....:listen:) whereas the fit, strong, healthy, young stood at least some chance of evading capture and the result of the chase was to dislocate them into a new area which broadened the breeding pool...  But apart from that, there's little credible justification for the "sport" other than it is just that.  If over population is a consequence of the (supposed) ban, then the logical solution would be a cull by shooting - no problem with that.  There's just no credibility in suggesting hunting is an effective means of population control and that duplicity is as obvious as any could be - maybe that's why the publicity campaigns of the pro-hunt organisations are so abysmal, you just can't sell a plum! [emoji185]       

That’s the thing, I can see the obvious benefits of shooting, (woodlands being kept on farms etc) but fox hunting doesn’t really seem to give a lot back apart from somewhere for farmers to get rid of their dead animals.

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

If you're on ya arse you need a bling'ish phone to get work. Ask @silky fox. He, with years of experience, had to reach out to a forum to find work. How do you leave contact details, send/receive emails, or send out a CV if you ain't got a phone?

We all know there are scroungers out there, but picking up on someone having a phone makes me laugh.

Eggs,

Apart from the "bling" phones, it is the rest of the associated "bling" lifestyle choices that cause the never-ending so-called "poverty", i.e.  shop bought "on-a-whim" 500ml bottles of water, latte cafes, taxis everywhere, no matter how close, nor indeed how far, etc etc

Never mind carpets and other floor coverings, or furniture, only lasting 3 to 5* years, due to neglect if not gross abuse, before being skipped and replaced "on-the-tick"

etc. etc.

Or, "many mickle mak a muckle" as was once apparently said and understood by the thrifty dour Yorkshire folk.

I was getting a bit of stick in the local pub recently, about me being a farmer(but I am not, cos  I had to work for a living) wearing a fancy proper(Ex Army webbing belt actually) belt instead of baler twine.

but again, therein lies the rub, the Fendt tractor driving farmers still understand the many-mackle-maks-a-muckle truth, and use free balertwine for a belt.

etc etc

*we are looking at 25 years minimium to 40 years, hopefully.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Mull said:

but don’t let that get in the way of ‘animal rights’ and a hatred of farmers,

some of whom are over subsidised without doubt, but you’re tarring all with same brush,

I won’t change your mind I know, I just hope, in your future you enjoy your badger ribeye steak and a wee dash of badger milk in your tea.?‍♂️

There is a lot of misdirected energy in the 'animal rights' arena (which should really be re-catergorised as class warriors) which seems to attract a good portion of career protesters in between Occupy events, itinerant community evictions and bypass protests - should all quieten down soon with HS2 on the horizon, that'll give 'em some real focus...

You've really got the wrong end of the stick with the 'hatred of farmers' thing Mull.  It's actually quite the opposite.  What I genuinely can't understand is why so many actual farmers are so defensive of a system which pumps multi billions into corporate coffers, so much so that ag subsidy can be traded completely de-latched from the land or agricultural activity that it is supposed to support.  If there is hatred it is wholly directed at the pernicious, self interest of the likes of NFU / CLA which lobby so effectively for a system which actually deprives farmers of the proper support that should be going (if it must) to the man with his hands on the tools, not the likes of the Corporations and charities - NT, RSPB, Duchy, LANTRA etc...  

11 hours ago, Mull said:

I, like many millions like to eat meat, don’t tell me what to eat Kev!

I wouldn't dream of it!  It wasn't directed personally 'at' you, that would be about as much use as barking at the moon!!  But it is well recognised that as a nation, less meat consumption would mean the opportunity for more diverse countryside - rather than vast swathes of mono-culture grass, less fart gas (bovine and human) and an increased intake of fibre would significantly improve our diets and health.  Was it a thread on here where there was the article about the inefficiency of converting grain / grass into food for cattle so that the cattle could convert it into body mass so that we could eat the meat...?   With an exponential population growth, short of lab cell grown burgers, it is inevitable that meat consumption must decrease...  Just trying to get ahead of the game!

41 minutes ago, john p said:

Custodians of the countryside? Half the farms ive worked on/been on are an environmental disaster zone.

It's a crock, the worry is that it is wearing thin and people are starting to see through it...  That will be a great shame and irreversibly damaging to the sector.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

If you're on ya arse you need a bling'ish phone to get work. Ask @silky fox. He, with years of experience, had to reach out to a forum to find work. How do you leave contact details, send/receive emails, or send out a CV if you ain't got a phone?

We all know there are scroungers out there, but picking up on someone having a phone makes me laugh.

I agree, a smartphone has become a necessity to move on in life.

I very much doubt people visit food banks so they can buy more time on candy crush. I think people who visit food banks have to visit food banks, I doubt its a lifestyle choice. Anyone here go to a food bank so they can buy some more internet GB?

No clue on how the economy works in regards to farming but farming seems to be something that we do need and it seems like a right shit job. No wonder they require subsidies, there is no way I would want to be a farmer, it must be a 24hr 365 day, no holiday job. If its that much of a good thing why dont those who complain about farmers go and be one?