Saw Allowance

monkeybusiness

In a previous profession, if an employee damaged a piece of equipment through negligence then it was a verbal/written or final warning. If they had been truly negligent then they went straight through to final warning.

Sounds like your employees have no respect for the tools they are given making them bad employees. Mistakes happen but abusing the tools of the business isn't acceptable.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy them all a saw each and tell them to look after it.

They all have their own issued saws, and are largely very good at looking after them. We have had a couple of bits go missing recently (I am in no way under the impression that the lads are stealing from me, they are good guys that I trust implicitly) but when things are lost/stolen off site it is always company kit. I also have some regular subbies who supply their own kit and it's pretty telling that their kit never goes missing (I'm not suggesting that they are thieves either by the way - I know them all as mates and every one of them is ace!). There appears to be complacency/lack of ownership towards company equipment and I reckon that if the lads were to own the kit themselves they might take more care of where it's left/whether it is packed back into the van at the end of the day etc.

Sounds like your employees have no respect for the tools they are given making them bad employees. Mistakes happen but abusing the tools of the business isn't acceptable.

Its what the colleges are churning out Spud, many of them are not passionate about their work and are only there for the sheckles. The only way to stop saws getting wrecked is to employ a kit Nazi that checks in and out all the gear. We had one and were constantly updated on who the culprits were, sadly he`s gone so we are now back to finding broken saws in the shed that no one knows anything about.:thumbdown:

Bob

They all have their own issued saws, and are largely very good at looking after them. We have had a couple of bits go missing recently (I am in no way under the impression that the lads are stealing from me, they are good guys that I trust implicitly) but when things are lost/stolen off site it is always company kit. I also have some regular subbies who supply their own kit and it's pretty telling that their kit never goes missing (I'm not suggesting that they are thieves either by the way - I know them all as mates and every one of them is ace!). There appears to be complacency/lack of ownership towards company equipment and I reckon that if the lads were to own the kit themselves they might take more care of where it's left/whether it is packed back into the van at the end of the day etc.

Then perhaps the ownership is put on that saw to that person, issue the saw, show it to be in full working condition and have the owners name on it, anything goes missing then the repair comes out of their wages and they have to explain how it happened etc. Perhaps a decent compromise for all!

We did run this sort of thing in a production environment and it worked OK most of the time.

Back in the day, 20 years or so ago, I when subbied to Fountain Floristry, I was on £7.50 per hour, their on the books staff were on about £5.50 per hour plus £1.10 per hour saw allowance, if my memory serves.

Back in the day, 20 years or so ago, I when subbied to Fountain Floristry, I was on £7.50 per hour, their on the books staff were on about £5.50 per hour plus £1.10 per hour saw allowance, if my memory serves.

surely it was cheaper for the company to just kit their staff out with saws? 40.00 a week per employee? back then were saws cheaper also?

I think we got £4 or £5 a day but supplied our own fuel and oil for that at Tilhill.

surely it was cheaper for the company to just kit their staff out with saws? 40.00 a week per employee? back then were saws cheaper also?

Do you really think their on the books staff would have worked for £5.50 per hour?:sneaky2:

Do you really think their on the books staff would have worked for £5.50 per hour?:sneaky2:

Not a clue and not bothered, i was asking about the saws. Makes no sence for a business to pay out 40.00 a week for aomeone to bring their saw