Show your tractors

Will Cobb

The "Grassmen" franchise is a big thing over here now so a friend of mine got together with a few others to make a derivative of it.

And yes, the V8 "Fergie" actually does exists, it's not camera trickery!

I've never seen moss cutting like that before - thanks as that made for interesting watching and I searched for a few more like it. Does it dry out sitting on top the field for the coming season?

Seems they do sausage harvesting too!

[ame]

[/ame]
  • Like 1

Nice :thumbup:

It looks very original, is it a (early) 49 model?

1950. It has been converted to petrol now from petrol/paraffin

The only unoriginal bit is the small frame I welded up to stop the linkage sinking with a mower on the back. Completely removable though.

Original Fergie spanner. Where did it live when new?

The "Grassmen" franchise is a big thing over here now so a friend of mine got together with a few others to make a derivative of it.

And yes, the V8 "Fergie" actually does exists, it's not camera trickery!

why is it done like that.

1) it takes longer to dry if its stacked, then if it was layed as a single,

2) it must be harder to turn, if you dont turn the other side will be wet.

3) why are you moving the turf long distances instead of a nearby patch

I've never seen moss cutting like that before - thanks as that made for interesting watching and I searched for a few more like it. Does it dry out sitting on top the field for the coming season?

That's the traditional way of doing it. They sit long enough and dry sufficiently to be able to hold their structure and then they're set on their ends three or four together leaning against each other which is known as "fitting". They then dry like this and get hauled out late summer, they have to be cut, fitted, and drew out over one summer.

Big advantage over machine cut is the quality, they only cut the black peat with the flough on the top being discarded whereas the machine mixes it all together.

Very much all a dying art though.