Laurel woodchip saga

Dean Lofthouse

Unfortunately I don't think the law sees it that way. I believe the phrase is "duty of care"

Possibly, but if she had come a cropper while driving because of cyanide poisoning it wold make for a very interesting court case. Would the duty holder be expected to have foreseen the circumstances and therefore guarded against it? It would be right up there with the famous 'Wagon Mound' case.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly, but if she had come a cropper while driving because of cyanide poisoning it wold make for a very interesting court case. Would the duty holder be expected to have foreseen the circumstances and therefore guarded against it? It would be right up there with the famous 'Wagon Mound' case.

Unfortunately that's how it is going to have to be from now on. I have a " free help yourself" sign on.my chip pile. I'm now going to have to get another sign saying "no sniffing the Wood chip please"

Amazing how she googled it down to laurel and not just the fresh chip nukes everything or spores are turning her into a Borg or something.

Dean it doesn't matter what common good you do for everyone it's the age of blame and liability.

The victim is allowed to be naive. The Person being blamed should have knowledge and wisdom of Solomon in all matters, but was being greedy or too lazy to do wot about it.

I know that's not you Dean but that's how they set it up.

The person being blamed should have knowledge and wisdom of Solomon in all matters

Quite the opposite actually.

Famous passage by Winfield (legal bod) on the characteristics of the reasonable man:

[H]e has not the courage of Achilles, the wisdom of Ulysses or the strength of Hercules, nor has he the prophetic vision of a clairvoyant. He will not anticipate folly in all its forms but he never puts out of consideration the teachings of experience and so will guard against negligence of others when experience shows such negligence to be common. He is a reasonable man but not a perfect citizen, nor a "paragon of circumspection.

You get these kind of clowns pop up now and again.

I dropped some woodchip off a few years back, free, to a paddock entrance that was a bit boggy.

she complained that her horse had eaten it and got ill.

feed the horse properly so its not hungry might be the answer

My answer is never try and help out members of the public. People ask for a log for an 'art project' , you end spending 15 minutes with them choosing then have to lug it into the car for them. Offered a free tip site, find out there is no access and has to be wheel barrowed, etc, etc, etc! Its never easy.

In the OPs case - 'I didnt have any laurel on my chip pile and certainly didn't allow anyone to take any'. 'If you have the persons name that would be great as we deal with all thefts via the police.'