My hand got impaled on a fence today

Mozza

I was trying to flick a climbing line i was installing into a tree over a stubb, you know the one, give it a big half moon flick and the rope swings over the stub But this was different, I was doing a few little flicks and wasnt getting anywhere, So i give it the BIG flick starting at my feet and as my hand comes round past my head to complete the big swing of the rope, MY HAND STUCK TO A PALASADE FENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was instant pain, it was natural reaction to pull my hand off instantly, the blood poured out staright away and i nearly passed out (i dont like blood, espaecailly my own) went to the hospital straight away, had it x ray'd, the x ray showed a black spike mark in the middle of my hand even though the spike wasnt in it, Was pretty grim to see, Like the whole left by a spade in the soil i guess, So im now at home nursing a pretty horrible internal cavity (no jokes please :001_tt2:) and 3 stitches that closed up the puncture wound. Gotta rest it for this week and let the internal gap close up and sort itself out

Be careful around spikey fences people, Sounds obvious and i never thought id get impaled but i guess i just wasnt that aware of my surroundings today

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to flick a climbing line i was installing into a tree over a stubb, you know the one, give it a big half moon flick and the rope swings over the stub But this was different, I was doing a few little flicks and wasnt getting anywhere, So i give it the BIG flick starting at my feet and as my hand comes round past my head to complete the big swing of the rope, MY HAND STUCK TO A PALASADE FENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was instant pain, it was natural reaction to pull my hand off instantly, the blood poured out staright away and i nearly passed out (i dont like blood, espaecailly my own) went to the hospital straight away, had it x ray'd, the x ray showed a black spike mark in the middle of my hand even though the spike wasnt in it, Was pretty grim to see, Like the whole left by a spade in the soil i guess, So im now at home nursing a pretty horrible internal cavity (no jokes please :001_tt2:) and 3 stitches that closed up the puncture wound. Gotta rest it for this week and let the internal gap close up and sort itself out

Be careful around spikey fences people, Sounds obvious and i never thought id get impaled but i guess i just wasnt that aware of my surroundings today

nasty things those fences. hope it gets better over this week off.:001_rolleyes:

The x ray showed it wasnt far off coming out the other side of my hand too, Now that would of been horrible, im just glad it didnt go all the way threw my hand, Every cloud has a silver lining and all that haha

The x ray showed it wasnt far off coming out the other side of my hand too, Now that would of been horrible, im just glad it didnt go all the way threw my hand, Every cloud has a silver lining and all that haha

Hope your tetanus is up to date. Make sure you keep your eye out for any sign of infection too.