When customers want to help!

Macca

Wow this thread started with a reasonable question and then descended into pompous ranting claptrap.

Simple answer mate is tell the old fella to get out of your drop zone or your gonna add 25% on to your price.

Shhhhhh.....dont rattle the cage again ffs lol .

Ste

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did follow the correct procedures. We had cones next to cones and tape laced between them the path way was only 8ft wide and was bordered by 6ft fences onside and the line of cypresses (which are used to protect the houses from stray golf balls) on the other we diverted the foot path to the other side of the tree line and shut the 9th hole for the day. Every member of the public read the signs and followed the diversion bar him. I did everything from my side risk assessments and method statements and signage. I spoke to my insurance company after and they said that if he had to break or move the barrier and you could prove it and something went wrong to him then I would of been covered. The point I was making was you can't trust the public/client to stay safe you have to make sure they are safe by removing them from the unsafe situation. It may seem rude but as a previous guy mentioned send them off to the mark one water boiler and get a brew on!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Trying telling the local OSH inspector its pompous bollocks when there's a serious injury, fatality or close call. I know from experience they see it very differently.

Yeah ive read the thread mate,we know the dangers of tree work,if the guy choses to climb with no rescue climber or insurance cover thats up to him,hes been advised correctly as too the protocols of safe climbing industry best practise etc can we move on please and just answer the guys question....thaaaaank you

I'm no expert on the ways and whys of liability, but if the client or their family shuffles into our work area 'to lend a hand' , I immediately put my arm on his or her shoulder and take them back to where they popped up from. Saves a lot of trouble all round.

I did a job for a golf course where a large Leyland cypress had lost 60% of it stem to storm winds. It was over a public footpath. I had enough cones and tape to make a physical barrier to stop anything going down the foot path. I even put a taped divervision path in all signed ect.

...as a member of the public moved the cones and broke the tape and casually walked up the path. I politely said to stop as this has been cordoned off for your safety.....

"you can't stop me from walking along a public footpath".

...From then on I have piled brash on the path aswell as well as the cones and tape to make an impassable barrier. never trust the public or clients

And he was correct, no quantity of cones and tape makes a path closed unless you follow the correct procedure.

We did follow the correct procedures. We had cones next to cones and tape laced between them the path way was only 8ft wide and was bordered by 6ft fences onside and the line of cypresses (which are used to protect the houses from stray golf balls) on the other we diverted the foot path to the other side of the tree line and shut the 9th hole for the day.

I did everything from my side risk assessments and method statements and signage.

I spoke to my insurance company after and they said that if he had to break or move the barrier and you could prove it and something went wrong to him then I would of been covered.

Without passing judgement or taking sides, or saying I don't do the same myself sometimes, there is potential for an error in the RA / MS if you didn't have a closure licence from the LA to close / temporary divert the footpath. Which, I think, Treequip is referring to.

Whilst "speaking to the insurance company" and thinking you did everything right, and thinking the member of the public was a numpty, if the footpath wasn't closed / diverted by authority of the LA, no amount of cones, tape, signs, claymores, razor wire or machine gun nests make any difference at all to that member of the publics right to free passage.

I agree, most "normal", sensible, rational people would just steer clear.... But maybe he was a parish councillor or vice chair of the Ramblers Association or just a chap that "always goes that way."

All I'm saying is, I wouldn't rely on a verbal comment from someone at the insurance company call centre when the loss adjuster and H&S investigation find that the numpty was struck by a branch being felled over a PRoW that hadn't been officially closed.

Just saying, not judging or criticising, and not saying I might not do the same under certain circumstances..... But I wouldn't say "I've followed the correct procedure" regardless of how many cones I'd deployed unless the closure notice was official.

Without passing judgement or taking sides, or saying I don't do the same myself sometimes, there is potential for an error in the RA / MS if you didn't have a closure licence from the LA to close / temporary divert the footpath. Which, I think, Treequip is referring to.

Whilst "speaking to the insurance company" and thinking you did everything right, and thinking the member of the public was a numpty, if the footpath wasn't closed / diverted by authority of the LA, no amount of cones, tape, signs, claymores, razor wire or machine gun nests make any difference at all to that member of the publics right to free passage.

I agree, most "normal", sensible, rational people would just steer clear.... But maybe he was a parish councillor or vice chair of the Ramblers Association or just a chap that "always goes that way."

All I'm saying is, I wouldn't rely on a verbal comment from someone at the insurance company call centre when the loss adjuster and H&S investigation find that the numpty was struck by a branch being felled over a PRoW that hadn't been officially closed.

Just saying, not judging or criticising, and not saying I might not do the same under certain circumstances..... But I wouldn't say "I've followed the correct procedure" regardless of how many cones I'd deployed unless the closure notice was official.

We had permission from the council as it was storm damaged so the council said that cones and tape are fine we looked at the job the evening before. Tied the broken stem to itself and the tree it was hung up in and the golf course deployed a make shift barrier and notice for the night. We then closed the footpath and carried on with the work in the morning.5b5b344e5f1ca1ca69db8d8e17a248af.jpg

Picture of said stem

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk