The BBC pushes a tree climbing book 'news'

Andrew McEwan

I have often pondered the merits of raising children in a vertically challenging environment where climbing and descending are as common place as walking.

My eldest daughter was a footlocking wiz at eight years old.

We came down from the trees and got obese, perhaps we should go back up them?

A symbiotic relationship between mankind and trees!

Yeah,yeah, dream on...

Jomoco

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

funny thing is I have a practice tree a hundred yards from the house, to rope up I free climb it then put the rope over a top branch, descend on a figure eight, then get the rest of my climbing gear to practice...

Theres something about climbing it freestyle thats missing when your safely tied in.. you tend to be extra careful and more sure footed...oh I climb in trainers or crocks in ma tree...

haven't seen the programme yet but its an interesting topic, yes climbing trees is dangerous but at least they're outdoors using their natural environment to amuse themselves and getting a bit of exercise, still think its a better way of passing their time than spending all day in front of a games console. I hope my kids climb trees when they're old enough and though I hope they don't pick up any serious injuries, if they take a few knocks it'll harden them!

BBC London interviewed him the other week.

Incredible that they may promote such a disregard for public safety.

No fall arrest system.

No pedestrian exclusion zone

accident waiting to happen

Is this a serious post? My 4 year old climbs trees with no 'fall arrest system' or 'pedestrian exclusion zone'. Is that 'disregarding public safety'?

I'm old (63) and I still have a go occasionally just for fun but I don't take my shoes off, I'm no hippy. As kids we used to climb up to nests in a local rookery and those trees were 60 feet tall. We used to take 6" nails to knock in to get to the lower branches so I bet we caused a few problems but the trees are still standing

This took me back. As a kid we unknowingly yanked some heeled branches from a tree, probably sycamore, and stuck them in the ground to form a screen. They were maybe 2" diameter. The 'cuttings' 'struck'. I had occasion to visit the site 10s of years later and the cuttings were making good trees.

It ain't all bad y' know.

Has anyone ever rescued a non-arb from a tree?

My dad had to rescue me from 40' up a conifer when I was 5, it was either a thuja or a sequoia. I'd 'accessed' it from the slide, I can't remember it, but he reckons I was about 10' from the top n cawing like a jackdaw!

I freeclimb trees on occasion (but not at work) always seems quicker than wi ropes in the way