Cut and chuck vs rigging.

TIMON

• 2 months later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started I was too scared to rig anything, I thought it over-complicated matters and I could just get by cutting and chucking. Boy oh boy how wrong I was. Rigging is an art and once you've got it it'll change your life and save your body, it's safer and it'll make you £££!!

I still think back to a big ash tree I took down a few years ago before I had any idea about rigging. It took me almost 3 days - still keeps me up at night!

There is something to be said for climbers so good at cut n chuck they do a removal solo, that would otherwise require at least one experienced ropeman, IME.

Sure it takes far longer, is far more exhausting, and more dangerous. Particularly in areas with no cell phone signal.

Jomoco

Apologies, I haven't read all of the thread again but I just wondered if anyone had mentioned the long term toll cut and chuck takes on the body? One of my shoulders is absolutely munted from hedge trimming and cut and chuck work, specifically MEWP work I think.

• 1 month later...

ok I have a question.

I've set up and block (pulley) with timber hitch on the stem of the tree, The upper part of the stem to be dismantled has the rope round it. I'm trying to think of the knots or system that I would put on the upper part thats coming off. Does it have a name?

I've always used it, just trying to think of the name for it....

Any help would be great

ok I have a question.

I've set up and block (pulley) with timber hitch on the stem of the tree, The upper part of the stem to be dismantled has the rope round it. I'm trying to think of the knots or system that I would put on the upper part thats coming off. Does it have a name?

I've always used it, just trying to think of the name for it....

Any help would be great

Whats it look like, there are a number of knots that will do the job